Cortébert pocket watch identification help

Thread: Cortébert pocket watch identification help

Cortébert pocket watch identification help

Hi all.

I posted this in the public forum before I knew this subforum was here, so I apologise for the repost.

I've been searching for some more info on a watch I inherited from my mother for quite some time, and so far I've had no success. It's a Cortébert pocket watch with Cal 522 clockwork. I came across http://www.perseo-watches.com/english/old_movement.htm but the clockwork in my watch isn't listed on there.

The serial number of the watch is 1211497 with a Z stamped underneath it on both lids. I can get more pictures if you want them.

I'm hoping to be able to restore this watch fully soon. The winding pin is loose and the watch is in dire need of cleaning, as it stops randomly.

Any info you have on this watch would be greatly appreciated. All I know is that it was owned by my great grandfather once, and maybe even older than that.

If at all possible, I'd also like a value estimate on the watch, and a reccomendation for a good watchmaker that I can trust with the watch in Dublin, Ireland.

Thanks.

EDIT: Attachments didn't work.
    Last edited by Baggins; March 10th, 2008 at 14:10.

Re: Cortébert pocket watch identification help

There is information on the Cortebert 522 movement on Dr. Ranfft's site: Cortebert 522

You don't say when your great-grandfather might have owned this watch (how could we guess?) but the watch could be from the 1930s-40s.

Regarding value please read the sticky notes at the top of the forum.

Hi -

Thanks, JimH, for mentioning the fact that we don't do valuations: it isn't fair to do so online, since valuation depends on so many variables, not the least of which is supply and demand.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes I agree with JimH that your watch is likely from the 1930s.
    It looks like a good candidate for restoration as it has a nice 15 jewel movement and an attractive dial.
    As JohnF and JimH have pointed out we cannot do valuations here, but I think it's safe to say it'll cost as much as the watch is worth (or more) to restore it. This should not be a major concern though if it belonged to your great-grandfather. How many more watches will you get from him, after all?
    Here's an interesting article. Might be a place to start.
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/com...121208789.html

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    Yes I agree with JimH that your watch is likely from the 1930s.
    It looks like a good candidate for restoration as it has a nice 15 jewel movement and an attractive dial.
    As JohnF and JimH have pointed out we cannot do valuations here, but I think it's safe to say it'll cost as much as the watch is worth (or more) to restore it. This should not be a major concern though if it belonged to your great-grandfather. How many more watches will you get from him, after all?
    Here's an interesting article. Might be a place to start.
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/com...121208789.html
    Great, thanks for the info. I'll check that one out.

Thread Information