Is this Cortebert genuine?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Is this Cortebert genuine?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this Cortebert genuine?

Hi all. I was wondering if you could help identify this watch. Is it a genuine Cortebert? I have been searching a bit and haven't found any references to a Cortebert 694 movement. Thanks.
    Name:  s-l1600_A.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  72.4 KBName:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  158.4 KB

Re: Is this Cortebert genuine?

Welcome to the forum. Sometimes Mr Google can be your friend, because this one with a Cal. 694 (seller's pic) recently sold on eBay. However, that one had a sub seconds which yours appears not to have.

Regards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks balaton, I'm still just learning my way around the vintage watch scene.

I was looking around for some resources and found a few but none which mention a 694 without running seconds:

I would posted the full links but it looks like I need to get my post count up first! So here is just the website name:

perezcope
    oldswisswatches
    ranfft

Can anyone recommend a good reference for these old watches?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

ranfft is one of the best when trying to identify a movement. Otherwise a Google image search for "Cortebert movement" could yield some good matches. In the world of vintage watches you can buy things like the Complete Guide....which I say is not complete but hey....there is the internet.

The gentleman who does the Ranfft site does come here a lot.

A movement having no seconds and a sub seconds is just the length of one pinion in the watch. So the same cal can be used in either sub or no seconds. The train layout is identical on both movements pictured.

Many of us only know what we know because of decades of collecting and being heavily involved in learning as much as we can. So coming here is a great resource for you.

Sometimes when doing a Google search, include the word watchuseek. This will bring up any results that include this forum to the first page if not the top. The other site I would suggest is the NAWCC forum as there are lots of knowledge there. Many here are members there too. For me though....here is home.

Oh and I see nothing out of sorts with the watch. Looks right to me as long as the case is marked for Cortebert.
    Tony C. likes this.
    https://www.ThePassthrough.com

All of what @thoth said.

Here's an image of my Cortébert case back and if yours has the same design, then you shouldn't have too many concerns.

Regards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks again for all of your advice. This is a watch I am thinking about buying, not one I have right now. The caseback looks like this:
    Name:  s-l1600B.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  200.0 KB

Trolling around a bit I found a couple watches with this movement and Tellus on the dial. (Also with no running seconds) An example its below:
    Name:  28clt3s.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  29.0 KBName:  2wg9oyg.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  40.9 KB
    Could it be that the watch with Cortebert on the dial has had the dial changed?

as a small edit, I guess it does have running seconds, just not in a separate dial.

Quote Originally Posted by nats111 View Post
    as a small edit, I guess it does have running seconds, just not in a separate dial.
    Why would you say that? It looks exactly like a two-handed watch should look.

Very much of the period, very influenced by Max Bill. Many similar models made by many companies - take a look at Juvenia Slimatic online. I would imagine that it's genuine - the patina looks typical, for one, and Cortebert are not that highly valued (Turkey was their big market, and you see many engraved with the Turkish railway company logo) that anyone would be likely to do a dial for a modestly priced watch. Use the search facility on Ranfft to find the movement, looks familiar and generic enough. Maybe a modified AS694.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C. View Post
    Why would you say that? It looks exactly like a two-handed watch should look.
    The Tellus is a 3 hand...central sec.

I am not aware of the connection of Tellus and Cortebert....if there is one. I would try for the no seconds Cortebert before the Tellus.
    https://www.ThePassthrough.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information