Cost to restore grandfather's Cortebert pocket watch?

Thread: Cost to restore grandfather's Cortebert pocket watch?

Cost to restore grandfather's Cortebert pocket watch?

I was given this watch by my grandfather about 10 years ago, and am seeking more information on it. I would primarily like to know the year this watch was manufactured, where it was manufactured (it says "Swiss Made" on the front) and what it would cost to repair/restore. Any other information is welcome.

It reads: "Anti Magnetic" underneath the dial.

If you need any more info, let me know.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Restored; May 25th, 2010 at 04:57. Reason: added photo, changed title

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Re: Information on grandfather's Cortebert pocket watch

I couldn't give you an exact date, but here is information on the movement from Dr. Ranfft.

Cortebert 532

Features
    stem wind and set
    sub second

Data
    18''', Dn= 40.61mm
    H=5.6mm
    15 jewels
    f = 18000 A/h
    power reserve 32h

Remarks
    open face calibre
    Breguet hairspring
    early samples with bimetallic screw balance
    like 526, but base plate and barrel smaller
    differences not known between 530, 531, 532, 542

Example, year: signature; shock device
    ca. 1940: Cortebert; Incabloc
    (Cortebert 526, 19''')

And company history from elsewhere:

Cortebert is most definitely one of the more interesting watches that you can buy. The company started off life as a parts manufacturer for pocket watches back in 1790. Its creator was Abraham Louis Juillard and the company continued making parts for the next 90 years or so when, in around 1880 they decided to start the manufacture of complete watches as there appeared to be more profit to be gained.

By this time of course, Abraham's descendants had taken over the running of the company. Most of Cortebert's watches were fairly plain in design, but they also made complicated watches too, like chronographs, calendars and moon phase movements. By the early 1920s, the company was making some quite advanced watches for the year. The fashion around this time was for ultra-thin movements, and they delivered these to the market with an elegant range of watches.

Although they concentrated on pocket watches, by the early 1900s, wrist watches were beginning to gradually take over the majority of output from the Cortebert factory. Poland used their pocket watch as their official watch on the Polish Railway and after other countries saw the success of their timepieces, Turkey, Serbia and Egypt also decided that they should use Cortebert watches as their official railway timepieces.

During the Second World War, both the Germans and British used their watches for their troops. At their most successful period, they were producing 22 calibers of watch movements which also including railway watches. The Company does seem to have had great success with their railway watches, and this was recognized by the well known and respected railway watch maker, Hamilton, who bought a special railway designated movement from them.

The company unfortunately couldn't survive the electronic revolution in watches, and went into liquidation after 100 years of production.
    Fun little fact:

In the 1930's and early 40's there were Rolex's produced with Rolex branded Cortébert movements.
    Last edited by emmanuelgoldstein; May 23rd, 2010 at 22:20.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Perhaps this will help:

I noticed there is a number on inside flip: 2644732
    And a 4 digit number underneath: 5301

Thanks for the info.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Restored View Post
    Perhaps this will help:

I noticed there is a number on inside flip: 2644732
    And a 4 digit number underneath: 5301

Thanks for the info.
    The number on inside flip is most likely a case number and would not help in identifying it more. Dr. Ranfft's information is usually correct in regards to a rough estimate of year. It looks to be in good condition except for the dial at 4. Depending where you live a watch maker may charge you anywhere from $100 - $200 to service the watch. I would say since it was your grandfather's you really can't place a value on having it fixed. I am sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in today.
    Last edited by emmanuelgoldstein; May 24th, 2010 at 14:17.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Dial is enameled,so I would say its a bit older then 1940s.Minute scale style is typical for 1920s,so my guess would be 1920s.
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

Quote Originally Posted by jedanzoom View Post
    Dial is enameled,so I would say its a bit older then 1940s.Minute scale style is typical for 1920s,so my guess would be 1920s.
    When did they stop using enamel on dials?

-- John Maynard Keynes

Quote Originally Posted by emmanuelgoldstein View Post
    When did they stop using enamel on dials?

In 1930s dials became mostly metal made,especially in late 1930s.But that's not a general rule,couse Russians used enamel on their pocket watches in 1950s and 1960s also.
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

Quote Originally Posted by jedanzoom View Post
    In 1930s dials became mostly metal made,especially in late 1930s.But that's not a general rule,couse Russians used enamel on their pocket watches in 1950s and 1960s also.
    Thank you, I never knew that.

-- John Maynard Keynes

Thread Information