Could use some help with this vintage Longines

Thread: Could use some help with this vintage Longines

Could use some help with this vintage Longines

So I came across this watch a couple days ago at a jeweler and decided to hold off until I found out more about it. I was in a hurry, so I couldn't stay as long as I wanted to ask questions and examine the watch further.

From what I'm told, the watch is from the late 50's or early 60's. I'm also told that the case is made of 14k "American" gold. From what I gathered, this is because at the time, several Longines movements were shipped to the U.S. and then cased by someone in the states. I think the casing is solid gold because it doesn't say otherwise. It jut says "14 karat gold". I asked the jeweler to send me some pictures of the watch, and they are attached below. Unfortunately, the pictures didn't turn out very clear, but it looks like the top line of the writing inside the caseback says "Longines-Wittnauer" and the 5th line says "14 karat gold".

It was priced at $575. I was hoping one or some of you guys would know a little bit more about the watch and if the price is fair. Thanks in advance!

http://imgur.com/a/KPg6E

Re: Could use some help with this vintage Longines

Pictures need to be a whole lot larger to tell you anything. I can't even tell you whether the watch is a Longines or Wittnauer. The factories were totally separate from each other in Switzerland. Longines was generally considered a higher grade than Wittnauer, but there were a lot of overlaps and exceptions.

Almost all 14K or gold-filled Longines sold in the US were shipped here as raw movements without a case to save on customs. Longines-Wittnauer mated these movements to the dials and cases at their factory in New York City.

Price seems high to me in the current market, unless there is something special about the piece.
    gatorcpa

It looks like a Longines 22LS movement and they are really uncommon and was first made in the middle of the 1940's but Longines kept some of it's earlier designs around and as it's a small movement it was put in some later dress watches. To me it look like a mid 50's model but there is a number on the movement that will date the watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for your response. I completely agree with you on the pictures. Unfortunately, the pictures sent to me were poorly taken and essentially useless. They originally had this watch priced at $1,150 which seems absurd, but I agree that even $575 seemed slightly high. This watch was put in the 50%-off case due to the fact that they couldn't sell it, which I assumed was related to the original price.

Thanks Shum. I need to find out what that number is on the movement then.

1100 bucks?! He's probably outta his mind, this seller...
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

I emailed the seller about the numbers on the movement. Which numbers should I look at to determine the year? Also, they confirmed it is a 22ls movement. Does that make the price of $575 seem more reasonable, or does I seems a little high still?

There should be a long number in the 12.000.000 range if it's from the 60's. Parts price would be in the $400+ range if they are in good order but a watch is more then just parts. We just can't value a watch even if the picture were perfect as it could break the next day so it's not allowed so the best thing you could do is look for similar models and see what they have gone for. Better picture will tell if the dial is all original and if the watch is a collectors piece or not.

As it has not sold there could be something the picture aren't telling us so one should be careful. I just got a watch I thought might have been a great bargain but the movement is in real need of new parts so it was worth more or less what I paid for it so it's always a gamble.
    Last edited by Shum; May 22nd, 2015 at 00:42.

Thread Information