Could you please help me to identify this Rado watches?
Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By Kirill Sergueev
  • 2 Post By Mirius
  • 1 Post By busmatt
  • 1 Post By Kirill Sergueev
  • 2 Post By mkws
  • 2 Post By HOROLOGIST007
  • 2 Post By HOROLOGIST007
  • 1 Post By Kirill Sergueev
  • 1 Post By Henry Krinkle

Thread: Could you please help me to identify this Rado watches?

Could you please help me to identify this Rado watches?

Just pick the watches in the local pawn-shop for very modest price. I just want to know a bit about the model and brand? Looks like from the early 70-ies. And somebody tried to ruin them.Name:  DSC03555.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  365.3 KBName:  DSC03556.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  430.0 KB
    busmatt and doggbiter like this.

Re: Could you please help me to identify this Rado watches?

People, at least any suggestions on the model range and quality inside? Please!!!

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

I'm sorry that you aren't getting an immediate answer. We have some who know their Rado however our members are all over the world and not everyone logs in every day so it can take a little while.
    busmatt and Kirill Sergueev like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sorry I can't be of much help, Rado can be a mine field because they had so many model names, if you can open it and give us a picture of the movement someone will probably identify it for you.

Matt
    Kirill Sergueev likes this.
    " I can't wear this uniform, without some compromises "
    Chesney Hawkes

"I larf, I Larf, I wee I pants, I make I leg go rusty."
    ​Me

Thanks, I am going to take the watch to a friend of mine who is a renown watch repairer in Moscow, Russia. But it is not going to happen soon since I am in the States. I do not want to open this watches myself since I do not have a tool and obviously somebody already scratched the back badly. They are in the working conditions. I just want to learn a bit about this model. They are indeed beautiful but it is my first ever Swiss watches.
    busmatt likes this.

What you need to open it up is a case holder and a case back wrench. If feel like you can't open it with a wrench without scratching it, you might want to buy a rubber "friction ball". Some case backs are screwed in so hard, that the ball might not be enough, nevertheless it's worth a try. If you want to buy vintage watches from sources like pawn shops, fleamarkets, thrift stores, you will need to get proper tools sooner or later. This means the holder, a wrench, a case knife, a loupe, and the ball (if you really are that afraid of case wrenches). Besides, I'm pretty certain that even a mediocre watchmaker will have the right tools, and shouldn't ask any money for opening the watch up.
    The scratches here don't look as if a wrench left them, it looks as if someone with a "what-is-inside" obsession tried to open the watch up without the right tools.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

I can give you the 1959 patent for the case here, it covers the waterproof case
    Espacenet - Original document

and drawing here:
    Espacenet - Mosaics

Helps date the watch (a bit)
    A
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; August 27th, 2015 at 17:58.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; August 27th, 2015 at 22:24.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Thanks a lot. I thought that they are most likely from the early sixties. I did bot thought that they are 720 ft or 220 m water resistant. It is actually great. As for opening them. I seriously do not think that i fill be hunting for vintage watches on the flea markets and pawn-shops. The one should be an expert to do that. Plus have a lots of tools plus skills and patience. And I already have a collectable hobby which kills my budget and fills the display cabinet with obsolete film cameras. I appreciate you help in identifying those watches and I hope that they would not propagaet themselves into a suitcase full of vintage watches.
    Last edited by Kirill Sergueev; August 28th, 2015 at 01:51.
    busmatt likes this.

That is almost certainly an unnamed model. It will likely have an ASchild hand wind movement in it, though that watch is old enough that it might still be a Felsa. That printed anchor was introduced to denote hand wind models in 1957 and that case back had mostly disappeared by late 1962. Rado was notorious for using up parts though, so it could be a little more recent than that. Be very careful opening the caseback. It is a patented bayonet mount. It will only rotate 30 degrees and then can be popped off. Many people over rotate these thinking they are an ordinary screw in case back.
    Kirill Sergueev likes this.

Thread Information