Cry for Help: Longines Flagship - Original Dial or Not / That's the Question
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Cry for Help: Longines Flagship - Original Dial or Not / That's the Question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cry for Help: Longines Flagship - Original Dial or Not / That's the Question

Guys,

This dial seems refinished. I have never seen this model of flagship watch where "AUTOMATIC" is written in capital letters. In addition, some of the markers don't seem well centered between the indexes (for instance 1, 6, 7 or 11 o'clock markers).

What do you think?

As always, thanks for sharing your expert views.

Peire06Name:  Longines Flagship.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  52.7 KB

Re: Cry for Help: Longines Flagship - Original Dial or Not / That's the Question

It's a rather horrible redial.
    Tony C. likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Re: Cry for Help: Longines Flagship - Original Dial or Not / That's the Question

Isn't the "wings" a bit off center compared to the word Longines? or maybe it's just my eye.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looks like some children got fun painting :)
    Chaos is my focus

I`ve recently become the proud owner of a 1960`s Flaghip and no expert on them but I share your misgivings about the use of capitals for Automatic.
    Also the both the font spacing and some of the lettering looks not to Longines own very high standards.
    The spacing between O and the N looks too big and the shape of the G looks a little cramped too.
    Fonts change throughout many brands life so best to google image many examples from around the same age as your watch to compare.
    i`m sure some of the keen Longines fanss will weigh in to help you out at some point.
    If it turns out to be a refinished dial it looks a reasonable job ..we`re scrutinising in Macro photo`s so to the naked eye at normak size it probably looks fine.

To some collectors though it may always be an irritating niggle that gnawls away at them and keeps them awake at night.
    To others it`s no big deal as long as the job is a competent one and the rest of the watch is a fine model from a great watchmaker.

Hello...here's another vote for Redial! Michael.

Folks – this is not a remotely close call. On a scale of 1-10 for redials, it's about a two.

Oh, and I own a few originals...

Last edited by Tony C.; October 4th, 2016 at 12:16.
    mkws, typ73 and esdy_11192 like this.

No hesitation in calling redial. The quality of the printing is miles off the sharpness that it would originally have had. This always seems to be the first thing I notice nowadays when these get posted. Even the professional refinishing companies seem to struggle with this most of the time...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C. View Post
    Folks – this is not a remotely close call. On a scale of 1-10 for redials, it's about a two.

Oh, and I own a few originals...

Tony, did you have to post them? Now I can't stop drooling!
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    Tony, did you have to post them? Now I can't stop drooling!
    Happy to help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information