Curious about a "high end" vintage watch
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Curious about a "high end" vintage watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Curious about a "high end" vintage watch

So a while ago I came across this watch on ebay for a huge amount of money, but I really liked the story behind it (granted, that's how most sellers will draw you in anyway). What the seller says is that it's from pre-revolution Ukraine, solid 14k gold, and was "probably" owned by a high-ranking Russian Army officer. The cyrillic on the front (Barzhanski) does match his description of an Odessa jeweler, and the link he provides in the bio gives some more info on that business.

Story aside, has anyone come across anything like this before? Or has anyone at least heard of this jeweler? Link to the item is provided below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stunning-18...p2047675.l2557

Re: Curious about a "high end" vintage watch

the case looks legit, 56 is russian gold hallmark for 585, 14k
    dial looks ok too, jewish jewelers just did that everywhere, put their names on dials. also seller provides a link for jewlerer history
    but the movement is a problem here because there is no movement photo... seller for sure knows how to make professional photos but somehow avoids a clear movement photo which is cheesy at once
    Aswa likes this.
    Chaos is my focus

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

I don’t see anything to justify 5% of that price. I’d suggest a Tavannes movement

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't see anything particularly high-end about this watch. The gold case would likely be the only valuable aspect to it. The movement, what can be clearly seen of it, appears to be of average quality. The dial also appears to have (at least) a long hairline crack through the center of the dial (see pic #4) which the seller has not mentioned, as well as the edge chip that has been mentioned. The case, either a converted pocket watch case or in that style is quite decent, but overall I see nothing to write home about in this watch. Don't confuse high-end with high price. A seller can slap any starting price they want on an auction and it may bear little relation to the item being offered. Often doesn't. Ignore the made-up "General or Admiral" story and focus on the watch.

This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing
    Name:  BBUgM1G.img.png
Views: 60
Size:  1.30 MB
    Border-Reiver, mkws and busmatt like this.
    A friend is truly a prize indeed, others not so much. So if I lead you believe you're in the latter, please read........
    http://markmanson.net/internet

Thanks for the quick responses. Yeah, the seller seems to focus more on military memorabilia, not a single other watch in his list of stuff for sale. I don't think movement photos were purposefully removed/not taken. If I ever seriously consider it, I'l be sure to ask for some. I was just curious whether or not any part of his story was true, and if watches like this were made specifically for/were purchased by the Russian Army.

Hi there,

a gold watch with Revue movement in basic quality is any but "high end", and with the asked price it is not worth to dig deeper.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Shum and Eeeb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullivanjt View Post
    I don't think movement photos were purposefully removed/not taken.
    Huh? Do you have some specific information that leads to this conclusion? Movement photos are standard, and it seems the seller went to great lengths to avoid including a clear movement photo. This was an outrageously sketchy listing in every way, and I certainly would not give this seller the benefit of the doubt.
    mkws likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
    Huh? Do you have some specific information that leads to this conclusion? Movement photos are standard, and it seems the seller went to great lengths to avoid including a clear movement photo. This was an outrageously sketchy listing in every way, and I certainly would not give this seller the benefit of the doubt.
    No evidence, just general hope for humanity.

evidence is obvious
    he includes photos about every detail(including macro) but the movement
    things likes this do not happen by accident in listings for "high end" and fantasy officer stories
    mkws likes this.
    Chaos is my focus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast