Curious about information on old Doxa piece.

Thread: Curious about information on old Doxa piece.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Curious about information on old Doxa piece.

Gentlemen,

I think I originally posted this on the wrong board, the guys over at DOXA are more of a dive board. I think this may be a more appropriate venue.

I'm popping into this corner of WUS hoping that you can help me identify a vintage DOXA that's been in my family for quite some time. The watch you see below was gifted to my grandfather (dob: 1925) by his grandmother. I suspect this 22mm gem may be pre 1900's!

My mother informed that she no longer has the crystal. However, she told me that it was cracked and therefore kept alongside the watch for as long as she can remember.

Case back reads D.800 9927, does this imply the date of manufacture was 1899? I read somewhere the first two digits are the year code.

Very curious to know more! this one is going in that unused slot in my watch box.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Curious about information on old Doxa piece.

Hi and welcome.

The 0.800 is the proportion of silver in the watch case - so a minimum 80% silver. The upright bear is is a Swiss hallmark used until 1934 (for minimum .875 silver btw); the 'moon and crown' is a German hallmark used after 1886. See http://www.925-1000.com/foreign_marks.htm So perhaps cased in Switzerland and exported to Germany.

The watch looks 1920's to early 1930's to me; but its hard to tell and whatever the case number signified will be lost in the mists of time. Wristwatches generally do not figure as early as 1899. Maybe someone else will recognize the movement and get a date indication from that - but there are a lot of similar designs.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

In the case of the earlier Doxa it is possible for the numbers to be in opposing orientation so your watch was manufactured in 1927.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies guys!

Not closed by any means, if anyone else has anything else to add, please feel free.

Banned

I can only see one fixed strap loop. Is there a sign the other one has broken off, or is the case intact without any marks?

Was yours grandfathers grandmother maybe a nurse at some point of her life?

Dial looks like metal made.If thats a fact,than this watch probably survived some seriuos intervention sometime.
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

I'm sure that trim will correct me but I'd agree with 1927 as being in the right ballpark as Roamer were using that hand design at that time, added to the general case design with the chasing/ engraving around the bezel.

I own a Doxa from the same era, but these are extremely difficult to get parts for. I've been trying for a few years to find a watchmaker who has Doxa parts and/or the wherewithall to find them, but no such luck.
    "My grail showed up today"

Quote Originally Posted by mrsnak View Post
    I own a Doxa from the same era, but these are extremely difficult to get parts for. I've been trying for a few years to find a watchmaker who has Doxa parts and/or the wherewithall to find them, but no such luck.
    I also have a Doxa wire-lug wristwatch of similar vintage. Cosmetically it's in beautiful condition, but it needs an upper escape wheel jewel (no biggie) and a winding pinion - I have had no luck finding a winding pinion so have resigned myself to the reality that I'll need to make a new one, when time and tools permit. I had an extremely difficult time even finding information about the movement - all I know is that it was manufactured by FHF, and it appears identical to pictures of some I have seen referred to as the "caliber 1".

I read that Doxa's offices flooded sometime during the 1960s, and that all of their records were lost as a result of that. I even contacted Doxa directly, in an attempt to find any additional information about my movement, and whether they had any stock of parts pre-dating their loss of records - and I received a very brief (but not impolite) answer that amounted to "no" on both counts. If you own a Doxa, I don't know how new it has to be before their support personnel become helpful... but I have at least narrowed it down to sometime after 1930. :)

I have attached a couple of pictures of mine, on the off chance they can help somehow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by mars-red View Post
    I also have a Doxa wire-lug wristwatch of similar vintage. Cosmetically it's in beautiful condition, but it needs an upper escape wheel jewel (no biggie) and a winding pinion - I have had no luck finding a winding pinion so have resigned myself to the reality that I'll need to make a new one, when time and tools permit. I had an extremely difficult time even finding information about the movement - all I know is that it was manufactured by FHF, and it appears identical to pictures of some I have seen referred to as the "caliber 1".

I read that Doxa's offices flooded sometime during the 1960s, and that all of their records were lost as a result of that. I even contacted Doxa directly, in an attempt to find any additional information about my movement, and whether they had any stock of parts pre-dating their loss of records - and I received a very brief (but not impolite) answer that amounted to "no" on both counts. If you own a Doxa, I don't know how new it has to be before their support personnel become helpful... but I have at least narrowed it down to sometime after 1930. :)

I have attached a couple of pictures of mine, on the off chance they can help somehow.
    LOL, this reminds me of my own sad story. Many inquiries up here over the years, but no results.
    Check out mine.

Looks like one of us has a donor watch for the other. PM me.
    Last edited by mrsnak; May 10th, 2011 at 03:36.
    "My grail showed up today"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information