Curious about this Omega
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Curious about this Omega

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Curious about this Omega

Hi guys of the Vintage sub forum, I'm not at all knowledgeable of vintage but I do love smaller classic styling timepieces and on and off browse eBay. I saw this...

in an antique shop the other day and partly just wanted to share for the joy of nice Vintage watches but also curious if it looks like a reasonable price? I recognise that often direct buy from an antique shop can have higher prices versus, private online and auction so not expecting it's a great deal... Anyway any thoughts?

life's too long to worry about how short life is
    Last edited by Mathy; September 16th, 2017 at 14:37.
    "Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody is gonna die."

Re: Curious about this Omega

Personally, I think that would be too much even if it was a 14K case. Like you said, it may be something you can find a lot cheaper online, but don't for get that you can also ask the person at the antique shop if he would accept less. Ron

I find it quite expensive. Does it have a service history? If it hasn't been serviced, you'd have to factor that in aswell. If i was buying that 4 would have to change into a 2, and then i still would not find it particularly cheap.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The problem with the price tag – who wouldn't want to get it for less? – is that you ought to certainly factor in a service, too. That would add, depending upon your skill at finding a good watchmaker, from £75 (trade) to £150 (retail) or something like £800 (Omega). The crown is the wrong shape and should be changed to look right, too. A minor cost as this dates from before the period when Omega signed their crowns (in general) and so a generic of the correct shape wouldn't be expensive.

It's a nice watch and priced pretty much in the zone, broadly. But that's not allowing for service and any costs that may arise from that, so therefore on the high side.

If you were able to take off the back, you'd find the style number and serial numbers, both of which would tell you what the watch should look like and the year of production.

not the right price for such dial condition and atrocious changed crown, no idea how the movement looks like
    Chaos is my focus

On the good side, I like the lugs and case (although I don't recognize this reference) and the dial looks like it might have a nice even patina, but I'd like to see better photos in brighter light since I'm concerned about potential damage around the border.

The crown is wrong as mentioned above, and I would want to find the reference number to check if the hands are correct, since I'm unsure about them. 9k gold is not the most desirable material. What is the size? Can you get photos of the movement (presumably a bumper) and the inside of the case-back?
    Habitant likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Thanks guys, great to see such strong clear knowledge, spotting the replaced crown. Very good point also about servicing costs and what condition the watch movement is in. I didn't ask to inspect or handle I just took the photo as I didn't have time nor as evident required knowledge to debate with store about buying. Good to know what I should be aiming for if I do consider venturing down purchase of such a watch.

life's too long to worry about how short life is
    Last edited by Mathy; September 20th, 2017 at 09:03.
    "Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody is gonna die."

Yikes! That would be too much even if the price were in dollars.

You can find pieces comparable to that on eBay going for between $200 to $250 all day, every day.

Now, that art deco lighter behind it looks pretty interesting. What do they want for that?
    Last edited by Grégoire; September 20th, 2017 at 13:01.
    Check out my "Watch of the Week" on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Grégoire View Post

You can find pieces comparable to that on eBay going for between $200 to $250 all day, every day.

Now, that art deco lighter behind it looks pretty interesting. What do they want for that?
    Care to post any links?
    Chaos is my focus

Quote Originally Posted by Grégoire View Post

I think this is a bit unrealistic, even for a plated case. Given the current market, I think the price is in the right ballpark assuming that you can verify condition and originality; and obviously there is some potential for negotiation given the incorrect crown, etc. You are not going to get a steal, but if you can determine that this is a watch you want to own, the fact that the shopkeeper was willing to put this price-tag on the watch in his window suggests that he is open to selling the watch for a fair price.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information