'Cut' pushers on a Vacheron 6087
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 'Cut' pushers on a Vacheron 6087

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

'Cut' pushers on a Vacheron 6087

Hello all,

First post here. I was gifted the family heirloom on my wedding day - A Vacheron Constantin 6087. It is still in beautiful shape, though there is one item of note. The round pushers appear to have had their caps cut off - see pictures attached.

The 'repair' appears contemporary with the rest of the watch, but I have no idea what would have caused someone to do this.

I am saving up the means to have this timepiece repaired. Vacheron has indicated that the minimum service cost is an eye-popping $3,100 USD. That is presumably before replacing / re-manufacturing these pusher caps.

After authentication, etc. it's likely the cost will rise to well over $5,000 USD. Worth it? Perhaps - though it will be several years before I get there.

Any thoughts out there as to what could have led a watchmaker to perform this action? I haven't a clue.

Name:  IMG_5264.JPG
Views: 58
Size:  148.4 KBName:  IMG_5265.JPG
Views: 48
Size:  136.5 KB

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: 'Cut' pushers on a Vacheron 6087

Welcome to Watchuseek! It sounds like a very nice watch, opverall - any chance of more piccies? We looove piccies!

As for the pushers, I wonder whether they were cut or just worn so that the top of the caps dropped off. If cut, I wonder whether they were lost and two from another watch that nearly fitted (but not quite) were "adapted". Ultimately, I also wonder how generic these things are. If they are highly VC-specific, you'll just have to bite the bullet and spend the cash eventually - and the price is likely to rise rather than drop if you leave it for a long time! However, what I would do is to try and find pictures of the exact reference and get a decent independent watchmaker onto trying to find replacements. If he can come up with something that fits perfectly and that even VC can never distinguish from what they put onto the watch in the first place, you'll save heaps of $$$!

Good luck!

Hartmut Richter

DON

Gold cap pressed onto a steel tube. Gold worn through from possible rubbing to the point sharp edges snagging and perhaps the previous owner had the tops removed.

One edge looks cleaned up, but second not so much.

Did Vacheron directly quote that price or did you go to a VC retailer, VC Boutique or a non VC retailer?

Other than VC direct. All other stores will charge a mark up over the factory repair fee

If the case has horn lugs. A Google search will give you a value on the watch depending on overall condition

Might be worth the investment depending on dial condition etc., but full images would need to be seen to see the condition of the watch

DON
    tinknocker and boatman123 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by boatman123 View Post
    Hello all,

First post here. I was gifted the family heirloom on my wedding day - A Vacheron Constantin 6087. It is still in beautiful shape, though there is one item of note. The round pushers appear to have had their caps cut off - see pictures attached.

The 'repair' appears contemporary with the rest of the watch, but I have no idea what would have caused someone to do this.

I am saving up the means to have this timepiece repaired. Vacheron has indicated that the minimum service cost is an eye-popping $3,100 USD. That is presumably before replacing / re-manufacturing these pusher caps.

After authentication, etc. it's likely the cost will rise to well over $5,000 USD. Worth it? Perhaps - though it will be several years before I get there.

Any thoughts out there as to what could have led a watchmaker to perform this action? I haven't a clue.
    As it's already been said it must be a very nice VC watch. However, it must be at least made of platinum and encrusted with diamonds for them to charge you that much. Of course, all jokes aside you'd definitely expect some ridiculous price (as this) from a very well-known watch manufacturer. As you already know this is a genuine VC don't worry too much about the authentication - seek out an independent watch maker and see if they can source those pushers for you. Good luck - please post some more photos of you family heirloom.
    Last edited by Old Navman; 1 Week Ago at 06:24.

Has anyone from VC actually checked the watch, or are you going by an email estimate? I ask because unfortunately there are more than a few fakes of this vintage chronograph out there. Heck its so popular that VC released a modern version in 2015.

Assuming all is OK I'm going to predict that the cost of restorations by VC will likely double your already generous estimate. They really have you over a barrel because to have anyone else touch it risks a loss of value. Here is a catalog image for anyone wondering what we're talking about.

Name:  6087 copy.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  84.3 KB
    Tick Talk says, "A watch in the hand is worth two on the wrist"

As @DON mentioned, those are typical worn gold plated pusher caps, possibly polished up a bit afterwards.

Sad that we don't get to see any photos of the actual watch.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Hey all,

Thank you for the great comments. I will certainly take some pictures of the watch for all to see. I will likely start up another thread as I assume the watch is of interest enough to warrant it. Based on what I have researched, this is indeed a 6087 with the cow horn lugs.

It’s what I believe to be yellow gold (I’m having trouble identifying the difference between yellow and pink gold with its patina). It features a tachy/telemeter scale and based on the clear hallmarks I don’t believe it has ever been polished.

Unfortunately the band is not original, having been replaced after the original deteriorated over the last 60 years.

It still keeps time, but I haven’t been winding it as I’m sure it hasn’t had it’s scheduled maintainence done in at least two or three decades.

Stay tuned : )

boatman123...Hello!

My oh my: What a PRICE V&C threw at you!

I respectfully suggest that you shop around at Independent watchmakers...I would not be at all surprised if you discovered someone able to do a good job on your watch for, say, 90% less than what you mentioned here.

I've owned my share of fine-quality Swiss watches, and there IS an initial inclination to make one of these old pieces 'as good as possible, with documentation if available'...it's as if you're doing Justice to the Brand, by having it Serviced ONLY by those who made it.

Which seems OK.

Still: some of the prices being charged for what used to be considered pretty common repairs and replacements, do seem--essentially--obscene.

A similar comment applies to the current fad for 'documentation'. You may have heard that a number of automobile manufacturers are doing just the same thing: charging a Small King's Ransom for providing the owner with a slip of paper ( one assumes it's Handmade, with appropriate Watermarks ) acknowledging, yes; we made that car !

Of course, to each, their own. I assume that a Lottery Winner with, say, $100,000,000 USD to spend might not wince at some of the prices we're seeing as relates to items traditionally purchased by Kings and Potentates and Football Stars.

Then again...silly prices are silly prices.

Oh: take a look over at the NAWCC or AWI sites. I was a member of both USA organizations, and learned that there are folks there who can do anything. They tend to price their work at 'what it's worth', not as a function of who made it.

Good luck, and be patient...many old parts are still around, but it can take time...

Michael.
    boatman123 likes this.

Hello all,

I still can't post links due to my low post count. Hopefully these attachments come through OK. Most of the scratches are in the plexiglass 'crystal' and not on the dial itself. Apologies for how blurry they came out - I need better lighting.

Name:  IMG_5266.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  868.2 KBName:  IMG_5267.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  980.2 KBName:  IMG_5268.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  772.6 KB

They did come through OK. Still, one thing doesn't seem right - the 6087 seems to have had several versions, but in neither that I know of is the hour hand a stub, and the minute hand doesn't reach the minute track.
    busmatt and georges zaslavsky like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information