Cylindre 10 Rubis ID help

Thread: Cylindre 10 Rubis ID help

Cylindre 10 Rubis ID help

Hello all,

I have a 18k Cylindre 10 that I was hoping to learn more about. I've read some other posts on this site mentioning this family of watches, but none were close to this one (see attached photos.) Amazingly, the watch still ticks (but tends to stop after a couple of minutes...)

What do you guys think?

-Thanks for a great forum,

Martin[IMG]file:///Volumes/USERS/mfette/Region1/pictures/House/Moms%20House/Watch/angel_back.jpg[/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Cylindre 10 Rubis ID help

Swiss movement likely. Cylinder escapement from around 1900. It looks like it may have been a ladies watch that was modified as a wristwatch. It probably needs to be cleaned and oiled to get it running again.
    Thanks for posting.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I can only agree that it was very likely a ladies watch - the small second hand is missing. 10 jewel cylindre watches represent the upper end of their range (although cylindre escapements represent the lower end of the overall range). Nowadays, a high grade manual watch has17 jewels. When cylindre escapements were still made, the high class ones had 15 - the centre wheel was frequently left unjewelled until the 1950s. A cylindre escapement watch loses all the jewels to do with the lever since it doesn't have one - the two pallet stones go, as well as the two that hold the lever - plus the transmission stone on the balance. So, you get rid of five and keep ten of the 15 usually found in a lever watch. In practice, the low end of the range is four jewels for a cylindre escapement movement (the ones holding the balance wheel, including cover stones).

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info guys. Now I need to find a good watch repairman who can work on these old watches. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Martin

Thread Information