The Cyma 1915 Borgel... mystery solved!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Sparcster

Thread: The Cyma 1915 Borgel... mystery solved!

Picture The Cyma 1915 Borgel... mystery solved!

Hi Chaps,

Following this thread: Mystery Watch .... I thought I should post the watch in question!

1915 Borgel case, sponsored by George Stockwell..... Early Cyma cal 13'''. I was slightly worried when the watch arrived, as it looked like the watch had been screwed back at an angle, as the bezel was not sat against the case on one side, but tight the other.... I was worried the threads on the case may have been damaged because of this... plus is was very tight when unscrewing!

Luckily.... the threads were fine... the issue with the bezel not sitting tight to the case, was down to the bezel not being fitted properly!! there is a inset notch on the bezel that should line up with a pin on the threaded inner case... but it was not.... resulting in that section of the bezel sitting proud, as the bezel could not get past the protruding pin.... what im trying to explain is in this picture - on the left, under the bezel rim!

Other than that... the watch is running well and in very good shape! lugs of firm and have kept their shape, dial is free from marks/cracks/chips and the original lume is holding up well (not so much on the hands...)

On the strap!

The Case:

The dial:

The Movement:

Thanks for looking!

Cheers...
    Last edited by Sparcster; March 17th, 2012 at 11:14.
    bubba48 and radger like this.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Re: The Cyma 1915 Borgel... mystery solved!

Cool watch! I can't tell you how many time I got a watch that someone put back together improperly. Glad you figured it out!

This old Borgel looks to be in very good condition.
    I've saw too many of this type of case all but destroyed by uninformed hacks
    trying to prise off the bezel with knives or screwdrivers.

Also the crown looks good with less wear than the norm, this is good as problems
    in this area are troublesome to correct as compared to the more standard hinged trenchwatch
    case where new case tubes can be easily fitted to take up play.

Also the knurling on the bezel is still fairly well defined, I've saw well used Borgels where the knurling
    is all but gone.
    These are all signs that indicate a good Borgel case, there are plenty of wrecked and worn out
    cases out there, believe me I've had a few and you should avoid those like the plague, unless
    they are cheap and you need the parts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by radger View Post
    This old Borgel looks to be in very good condition.

These are all signs that indicate a good Borgel case, there are plenty of wrecked and worn out
    cases out there, believe me I've had a few and you should avoid those like the plague, unless
    they are cheap and you need the parts.
    Hi Radger,

Thanks for the heads up on things to look out for! With the borgel count now at 4, I have 2 still to post. But, the other 2 require attention! Luckily, not case related... Service, clean, hands - not easy to find, and luming!

It's nice that each borgel I own has a different movement... A.schild, Cyma, Longines and Marvin... This does leave me with trying to buy some of the more expensive movements... IWC, jaeger....

I forgot to mention the crown.... It is in great shape!

Cheers
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Thread Information