Cyma Cal. 335 from about 1935
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bubba48

Thread: Cyma Cal. 335 from about 1935

Cyma Cal. 335 from about 1935

This thread from a while back discusses quite a bit on the Cyma 335/334. Basically it is a manually winding watch with one of the first 72-hour reserves from a full wind. Pretty cool!

Cousins also has this nice technical page (.pdf): here

These seem to be some-what scarce (at least on eBay) although there are 3 presently listed in various states. Here is mine. I trade two other watches (a Bulova and an Gruen) for this one. It came to me running (barely) and I learned a few things on this one.
    Name:  cyma_335_frnt_b.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  97.4 KB
    Here is the back of the movement (post-COA):
    Name:  cyma_335_mvt.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  113.7 KB

So what did I learn?
    1 - The mainsprings are long and brittle. I broke the one that came with the watch just trying to wind it to replace it in the barrel. Luckily, CousinsUK has replacements (Thanks Trim)!
    2 - The barrel (see the tech sheet, marked as part #1) has an external driving gear that engages with the train (sorry no photo). This wheel (part# 1/3) is attached to the barrel by a spring (part 1/4) held in place by two screws (part# 1/5). These screws are pretty small. For someone who collects mostly Gruen, nothing seemed to fit when I lost one. Two weeks transpired and then as I was doing a sweep of the floor for a part from another watch, I found it. W00t!
    3 - Despite what my ace timer tells me, it is not gaining 100+ seconds per day. I don't think the lift angle is the standard 52-degrees. The lever is a 'mustache' style. Has been running for over a week, dial up and has gained all of one minute in that time. At odds with the timing machine. I'm sure I can figure it out from the above image with a protractor, but I'm feeling lazy.
    4 - When it was given to me, I was told that the dial is a vintage redial. I'm not so sure. Someone seems to have gone over the raised numbers with white paint (enamel) and had done the same to the hands (stripped off with acetone). Anyone have one that is in better shape?
    5 - Case has a stainless back but the bezel may be sterling plate on nickel.
    6 - The whole balance assembly is pretty neat: The balance bridge is just a narrow plate and the cap jewels are shock-proofed held in place by a small spring. The lower cap jewel also doubles as the balance cock.
    Last edited by JackW; January 7th, 2013 at 05:51.
    All that I know is based on the hard work and writing of others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. To quote Newton, "If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Re: Cyma Cal. 335 from about 1935

Congratulations on getting it running so well - and thanks for the very interesting report. I think the dial looks OK - in the photo at least.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Very nice. Good looking watch. I am with Marrick - the dial looks good to me. The construction of the balance and pallet is quite interesting.

mainsprings are long and brittle
    I hear you on that. I don't even take them out of the barrel if I am not planning on replacing them.

Nice work. Thanks for sharing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nice work. Congrats.
    In my opinion the dial is original.

This is my 334

JackW likes this.

hey Bubba!

Thanks for sharing an image of your 334. It is a nice reference shot to match the 335.

Cheers!
    All that I know is based on the hard work and writing of others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. To quote Newton, "If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

This is my CYMA cal 335; but need oil service.

Name:  DSC02171 (Small).JPG
Views: 808
Size:  126.3 KBName:  DSC02174 (Small).JPG
Views: 799
Size:  119.3 KB

Helioshiye,

That is quite the nice example, thank you for sharing. I especially like the dial and hands combination. Should get it in service so you can wear it.

Cheers!

Thread Information