Cyma Navystar
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cyma Navystar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cyma Navystar

Hi everyone,

I have been searching for a nice example of a vintage Cyma Navystar. It was the watch that my father wore throughout my growing up and since his actual watch has long since gone I've been looking for the next best thing - a fine example of the same or very similar watch.

My core interest in vintage watches is 1950s Omegas, so this is not a subject matter upon which i am knowledgeable. Could you guys please have a look at these pictures and let me know what you think? Probable age? movement condition? redial? (i initially thought so but now can see minor speckling so not too sure)

Any observations at all will be gratefully received.

Many thanks, Colin
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Colin T; October 23rd, 2006 at 16:05.

Re: Cyma Navystar

Late 50s early 60s I'd say. It's not a redial, and movement looks OK from the photo.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Hello,

This is the first time someone else mentions a Cyma. I bought this over a year ago in Scotland in a large antic store.

The more I wear this watch the more I like it. Also bougth a Tudor Oyster Royal, searching the Net almost positively from the beginning of the 50ties.

At first I did not very like the Cyma, only bought it because of chronometer specs, but more and more I like it. Mine has almost identical movement, only the words Tavannes Watch Co. in stead of Tavannes switserland.

Hope you like it...

Bart

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

sheffield-birthplace of the 'dreadnought'

hello colin

i've had mine for quiet a few years now and love it, i bought this one and an avia ajustor at around the same time and just always think of them as being a pair

ooops, i can't find a pic of them together:-S

john

Hi -

Very, very nice edition there.

You can see the calibre here at Ranfft:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...&uswk&Cyma_459

I also don't think it's a redial, simply a very nice example. Age is almost definitely more the 1950s than 1960s.

What I find very interesting is the mounting of the balance wheel: most calibres have a cantilever construction, where the balance wheel and staff are held by the balance bridge, which is anchored only on one side. Some very, very high quality watches (Rolex comes to mind) anchor their balance wheel assemblies on both sides, forming, as it were, a true bridge to increase the rigidity. This Cyma comes close to doing this as well: that dog-leg from the balance wheel bridge over to the other side has a pin to help stabilize the balance wheel.

Neat, very neat. Hadn't seen that one before...

Movement condition appears to be extremely clean. That is almost always a really good thing.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

sheffield-birthplace of the 'dreadnought'

well, i've only just noticed that mine is a sub second set up and the other two are centre sweep seconds, would this mean mine was a fake???

john.

ps, i'll have to get the back off mine and see what's inside (i can't remember)

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    well, i've only just noticed that mine is a sub second set up and the other two are centre sweep seconds, would this mean mine was a fake???

john.

ps, i'll have to get the back off mine and see what's inside (i can't remember)
    John,

I do not believe yours is fake. If you take a better look at the caliber picture, you see a big yellow gear and a very small one in the center interconnect. This is the drive for the second hand. Your small gear is just placed in another position.

The case seems to be identical to both. If I see your case and especially the little gap between the lugs and the crystal ring, mines exactly the same..

Bart

Here is my Cyma with a large R486 movement. Cyma was a luxury watch back in the 1950-60's. They were only slightly cheaper than Rolex.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by soviet; November 13th, 2006 at 12:19.

Cyma (Tavannes) made some really good quality movements in their days.
    There are some nice big sized movements from the fourties that are used (in altered form) by Roger Dubuis, and I would call that high-end watch making at it's finest.
    So I think the Cyma brand deserves a bit more credit to it's name. (IMHO).

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddel Virks View Post
    Cyma (Tavannes) made some really good quality movements in their days.
    There are some nice big sized movements from the fourties that are used (in altered form) by Roger Dubuis, and I would call that high-end watch making at it's finest.
    So I think the Cyma brand deserves a bit more credit to it's name. (IMHO).

Cheers,

Daddel.
    I have just found my Wife's fathers Cyma Navy Star which has been in the family for many years. I expect it is pre 1950's ? It still works when wound up but stops after a few hours so needs a service? Can anyone give me info on this watch as it would be mmuch appreciated Thank you
    Here is a photo http://uk.geocities.com/trevorking19...alwatches.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information