cyma navystar

Thread: cyma navystar

cyma navystar

hi all, here is the cyma navystar.
    belonged to my dad i think.

condition not the best but runs okay.
    it appears to be gold and the back is very solid, however no inscriptions or manufacturers details.

could this be restored and if so what would a ballpark figure be?

there is no band but i do have the original two tone flip top rounded case.

would love any info and advice.

thanks and regards,

jeppro
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: cyma navystar

Hi -

It can be restored by any good qualified watchmaker: it is sometimes amazing what they can do.

However, we can't give you any sort of figure for what has to be done, since this is something that you have to work out with your watchmaker, who can make that estimate when he or she actually sees the watch.

Watches from Cyma are usually of very, very good quality, and given that it has family sentiment for you, is eminently restorable.

But there are multiple things to think about.

First, you can have the watch restored, which is "simply" a cleaning, oiling of the movement, and adjustment of the time-keeping qualities of the watch, with perhaps a new crystal if this one is scratched - hard to see - and your watch will be up and running. However, the patina in the face of the watch - the discoloring on the dial - remains.

You can have the watch completely redone as well: this includes having the dial redone to revert to the original colors and design, as well, probably, having the case worked on as well if it is damaged. This is considerably more expensive, as the redialing is not trivial. This would return the watch to the state in which it was basically built, i.e. the dial would then be completely new.

Given that it is an heirloom and it is also probably more than 40 years old, I'd not get it redone, but have the watchmaker restore it internally and have them give it a good cleaning.

Lovely Cyma, I have one similiar with a black face that has faded to a deep chocolate brown. One of the better tickers I have.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! Hope this helps...oh, and please leave it be before taking it to a good watchmaker: if the movement is really dirty and the oils have hardened, you can actually damage the watch by winding it up, as oils with dirt in them act not as lubricants, but rather as cutting agents, really make a mess of things...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

hey john,
    thanks for the reply mate.

i will indeed take it to somebody suitably qualified to restore this little baby.
    its a nice piece.
    do you know if it would be gold? it sure feels like it...
    do you have any idea when it was made? its hard to find info on the net.
    i believe cyma movements are similar to the rolex of its day. is this correct?
    do you have an idea of what a restored piece is worth as i want to insure it also.
    many thanks for your teriffic advice. when i get the work done i will post up some before and after shots for everybodys viewing pleasure.
    i also have a roamer in a post too if you want to look at that one.

many thanks and regards,

jeppro

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi -

The same goes for your Roamer.

Can't tell from the pictures whether it might be gold or not: you need to take pictures of the back, especially of any small markings. If the back is steel or base metal, then it's probably not a gold watch; if it is, then there will be some sort of small stamp that declares the gold content either on the back directly or inside the back.

Cyma and Rolex? I wouldn't quite go that far, but the difference is more academic than real: the Cymars have very good movements. I have two, one from the 1920s and one from the 1950s.

I would tentatively date yours in the late 1950s or early 1960s, based on the design, but am not an expert and would have to research Cyma more than I have.

For valuation, please read the sticky post at the beginning of the forum, where Ray McDonald posted about the best statement to valueing a watch as you will find anywhere on the Internet. Period.

Insuring the watch is always a wise move, but since it is a family heirloom that makes put a true valuation on the watch very, very difficult: you don't want to replace the watch at all, as it was your father's!

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Don't hide you light under a bushel, John!
    I can only agree to your estimation, where I would tend to the early 60s.

Cheers and a nice St.Patrick's day,

Axel

I'm going to guess mid to late 50's, just a hunch.

I had a Mido with broken main spring cleaned and restored for about $200 last year. The guy did a wonderful job and the watch basically looks like new and runs great. He relumed the hands as well and changed the crystal too... I elected to preserve the beautiful dial patina.
    Rotating on my wrist this month: Stowa Blue WatchTime Flieger, Sinn EZM9, Sinn T1, Sinn 556 Blue, Stowa Antea LE Polish Forums, Stowa Verus 40, Damasko DS30 greenie, Sinn U1, Stowa Antea Klassik KS Rose, Nomos Tangente Silvercut

Thread Information