Cyma Triplex

Thread: Cyma Triplex

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cyma Triplex

I stumbled across an old Cyma Triplex watch from I think the early/mid 50's. Haven't been able to find out much about it here or online at large. I do understand the Triplex feature to be a form of shock absorption, but I sure would like to learn more about it if possible. It's got a nice patina that I'll probably leave alone and just wear for myself. Also, quality-wise, is this a good dependable watch? Higher end?

Re: Cyma Triplex

Pictures please?
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Here's one. I've since replaced the crystal.

I feel like the sub-second hand is not original as it's a slightly different colour than the hour/minute hands and a different style. I could be wrong, but all the CYMA sub-second hands I've seen from this era don't have a tail.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Some how the pictures are not showing are you forgetting to upload the picture after you select and open the picture?

Hard to say...hand styles change frequently. The style of hour/minute hand suggests that they used to have lume (and quite possibly radium-based lume) which might have changed the colour over time.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by nsmike View Post
    Some how the pictures are not showing are you forgetting to upload the picture after you select and open the picture?
    Pretty sure the picture is working. Sometimes if a picture is taking a while to appear, I close the box and click again on the picture. This usually brings it right up.

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Hard to say...hand styles change frequently. The style of hour/minute hand suggests that they used to have lume (and quite possibly radium-based lume) which might have changed the colour over time.
    I agree, I'm pretty sure the hands had lume, as did the arrow head hour markers. It's still there but dead and ugly looking really. At some point I may do a full a restoration to make it look like new with new lume etc. But then again I may just leave it as is.

Still would like more info on this watch and the Triplex in general if anyone can help. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 83glt View Post
    I stumbled across an old Cyma Triplex watch from I think the early/mid 50's. Haven't been able to find out much about it here or online at large. I do understand the Triplex feature to be a form of shock absorption, but I sure would like to learn more about it if possible. It's got a nice patina that I'll probably leave alone and just wear for myself. Also, quality-wise, is this a good dependable watch? Higher end?
    Nice looking watch. I believe Cymaflex was the Cyma shock absorption system. I'm not aware of them making a second one. I've seen some Cyma watches marked Triplex but have yet to read anything that would indicate it is other than a model name. Here's a link to an older auction on the Ranfft site with some more information.

bidfun-db 1197475241: 412: Gents Cyma Triplex Manual Wind, ca. 1950 n.o.s.

Thanks for the link, appreciate it. So I guess "Triplex", if anything, was a marketing strategy for the Cymaflex shock protection? I can't decide if I should clean the dial and restore the lume. It seems like either both should be done or it should be left alone.

My guess is it's a reference to being triple sealed, at the crown, the crystal and the back. I remember seeing old advertisements for watches that proclaimed that they were triple sealed. I have nothing more to go on than that.

Here is an old 1951 ad for sale on ebay:

1951 CYMA Triplex Watch vintage ad - eBay (item 310208695230 end time Sep-17-10 22:50:45 PDT)

The triple protection seems to be:

shock absorber - dustproof - non-magnetic

Well - that's my interpretation anyway.
    Last edited by Marrick; August 26th, 2010 at 09:40.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information