cyma waches
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: cyma waches

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

cyma waches

I have been hearing that vintage cyma watches were of very high quality but since they aren't so popular now the prices on them are relatively low so i have been tooling around taobao and found a few that seem to be interesting.

unfortunately i don't know much about them and there doesn't seem to be much on the forum about them. so my first questions is are the following movements any good (compared to other cyma movements and to others at the time)?

synchron 45 17 jewel manual wind date

488 18 jewel manual wind date

synchron 40 17 jewel manual wind

synchron 42 17 jewel manual wind

thanks for letting me pick your collective brains

Re: cyma waches

I have had alway great interest in Cyma.
    As it is a manufacturers watch, They didn't bought their callibers from other manufaturers.
    I have had quite a few of them some still in private stock...
    As in Quality isue: Always good.
    Never ever thought of it as being bad, or with problems.
    They are finely made, spare parts are a problem though....
    You have to be a creative watchmaker sometimes.
    I think that is the main reason you don't see them too often.
    But to compare them with others at the same time:
    I think BUREN, ROAMER, ALPINA, ENICAR (a bit less) that kind of brands.
    But be aware of Frankens..........
    As it is a brand on the rise, of which only very few people really know the history, so there are people out there selling Cyma as the real deal....

Succes!
    RJ van Melle.

PS: Let us know when you find one...
    rahulg and Sansoni7 like this.

This is from memory so my facts may be a little off ...

CYMA/Tavannes (a partnership created in the late 1800s) was a Swiss manufacturer who made a variety of 7J through 17J hand wind movements for pocket watches and wristwatches (I don't think they made any automatic movements)

In the 1970s they were bought out by Synchron (along with Doxa and ... some other brand I forget which one) and they no longer made their own movements (typically used ETA movements from what I've seen)

I don't think they are owned by Synchron anymore (I think they are owned by Swatch) but they still don't make movement and continue to use ETA movements
    Sansoni7 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Cyma was an independent manufacturer until the 1970's when they became part of the Synchron group along with Doxa, Ernest Borel, and West End. A watch with Synchron, as far as I can tell, would date to the mid 70's. The 488 would date it to the mid 50's. The pictures I've seen of the 1950's Cyma's show a beautifully executed watch.

1943 first automatic watch by Cyma....
    And as far as I know they ceased production 1966,
    then the name rights went to the Chronos compagny.

Copied this from the web:
    Cyma
    Founded 1891 in Tavannes by Tavannes Watch, F. Henri Sandoz. Frederic Henri Sandoz was in heart and soul a businessman. To get on in his profession he turned his back on his home town of Le Locle and the Henri Sandoz & Co. watch company that he had founded there. In the nearby town of Tavannes he started a new company for the production of simple and complicated watches, including chronographs, an aptitude for which was proved by a chronograph patent registered in 1890. Further patents ensued, among them for a stem-winding mechanism and a chiming movement. The new workshops covered more than 1000 square meters. Forty employees, with the help of 55 modern machine-tools completed more than 40 timepieces a day. Some of these went onto the market under the Cyma name. Towards 1892 the company entered into a cooperative agreement with Schwob Freres of La Chaux-de-Fonds. The company continued to expand after the turn of the century.

By around 1905, daily production amounted to some 1000 watches. New markets in the Far East and elsewhere gave a noticeable boost to growth. In 1938, around 2000 employees and 2200 machine-tools reached an output of about 4000 watches and movements a day The company's 20th-century product range naturally included wristwatches of the most diverse character - for example the shock-proof models with a protective cover issued to soldiers in 1915. These were followed by "waterproof" versions. Catalogs from the 1930s also show wrist-chronographs equipped with Valjoux movements. At that time, Tavannes-Cyma claimed to be Switzerland's largest supplier of precision watches.

In 1943 the company launched its first automatic movement, the caliber 420, with a swinging arm winding in one direction. This movement was fitted into the square-cased "Watersport" model, for example. Another collector's item is the "Autorotor" self-winding caliber 485, launched in around 1957. Thereafter Cyma used ETA calibers.

In 1966 Tavannes-Cyma ceased production and the rights to the brand name passed to Chronos Holding.

History provided by Mr. Laurie Kemp.

regards,
    RJ van Melle
    Last edited by rmelle; March 26th, 2010 at 22:18. Reason: adding info
    Sansoni7 likes this.

Here is a link to Dr. Ranfft's write up on the 488 http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...swk&Cyma_488_0

Hi Kunfucowboy

We have a special thread for Cyma-Tavannes in the Spanish Forum of Relojes Especiales.

http://www.relojes-especiales.com/fo...avannes-85746/

Although in spanish , I ´m sure that you (and everyone interested) will enjoy the photos

Saludos

Kingmatic

thanks for all the info and links

so the synchron movements are not in house at all, that explains why they are so cheap.

well i looked again and found some non-synchron movements.
    does anyone think that these 3 watches are frankens or re-dialed?

r.800 movement

watersport (the font looks kinda weird but i'm to inexperinced to be a good judge)

r.806

I tink I have... found one at least... and of course I am niave... don't know much about it.Name:  $_14.jpg
Views: 8961
Size:  1.4 KB

Anybody recognise it?

Noah 8-?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information