• 1 Post By Tony-IOW
  • 1 Post By Mirius
  • 1 Post By mkws
  • 1 Post By bloody watches

Thread: Cyma Watch like to find out more details

Cyma Watch like to find out more details

Unusual Cyma watch.Name:  Cyma Front.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  1.25 MBWas owned by a Bulgarian Army Sniper from World War 2. The face of the watch is positioned that if the person were in a firing position to shoot, he would be able to see the time easily. Think its solid Brass with a leather strap.
    Name:  Cyma Back & Strap.JPG
Views: 162
Size:  1.24 MB
    busmatt likes this.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Re: Cyma Watch like to find out more details

Hi and welcome.

Appears to be a pocket watch movement recased into a wristwatch case. I can’t speak for the military angle.

Photo of movement?
    busmatt likes this.

I'm trying to work out how it would be easier to tell the time with this? Curious really because I've never been a sniper and not fired more than a 12 gauge at clay pigeons. Am I missing something?

Very cool watch though.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ah, gotcha! Thank you kindly. Much clearer for me to understand now.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Obviously a recase. As for that configuration supposedly being easier to read while holding a rifle... Nope. Technically, if the 12 o'clock position would be where 1 or 2 o'clock normally is, perhaps that would be of any use. Or, for that matter, it would be useful while holding a pistol with both hands, but in both cases, a)the watch would have to be worn on the underside of the wrist, and b)the shooter would have to have the left hand either supporting the right (in case of a pistol) or holding the stock in front of the breech area (forend, in case of a rifle/carbine/whatever), and if someone prefers to fire with the rifle being rested against something, they often tend to use the left hand to additionally stabilize the rifle butt rather than to hold it by the forend.

Why did I say all that? That's because the supposed military provenance has no influence whatsoever on the fact of what this watch is, and why does it look like that. It looks like that, because someone has simply put an open-face (lepine) movement into a case intended for a hunter (savonnette) configuration of the same size. By extension, the theory about it being meant to make it easier for a sniper to tell the time just doesn't stick.
    busmatt likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

I've not heard of this type of watch being called a sniper watch, but ive heard the same story for them being called a "driver watch"
    - ive tried driving with one i own and it doesn't make any difference, you still have to twist your wrist (unless your on a motorbike)
    I guess its just an old marketing term for a quick recase job.
    busmatt likes this.
    I wish i could think of something funny to put here.

Quote Originally Posted by bloody watches View Post
    I've not heard of this type of watch being called a sniper watch, but ive heard the same story for them being called a "driver watch"
    - ive tried driving with one i own and it doesn't make any difference, you still have to twist your wrist (unless your on a motorbike)
    I guess its just an old marketing term for a quick recase job.
    Probably not as much for a quick recase job, but for using up the otherwise redundant stash of open-face movements originally intended for ladies' pendant watches. "Driver's watches" had the stem (and the 12 o'clock position) at what's normally 1 or 2 o'clock.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thread Information