Cymaflex Ladies Watch

Thread: Cymaflex Ladies Watch

Cymaflex Ladies Watch

I am new to this website as I would like to know more about a watch given to me by my grandfather around six years ago. The watch was owned by his mother so the age of the watch is not known to me. But I would very much appreciate any information anyone can give me in relation to this watch in particular the age of the watch and possibly its uniqueness. I will list some of the details I know from a valuation I had done on the watch in 2004. Also photos attached.

- Ladies Cyma (Cymaflex) Bracelet Watch
    - 18K Solid White Gold
    - 18 Single Cut Diamonds grain set @ 1.5mm = 0.27cts G VS
    - 10 Brilliant Cut Diamonds square grain set @ 2.5mm = 0.70cts G VS
    - Concealed Box Clasp & 2 figure 8 safety catches
    - Total Weight = 26.9gms

Re: Cymaflex Ladies Watch

I contacted Cyma today about this watch and this was their response.

"Unfortunately we will not be able to help you.
    In fact, the actual CYMA factory was taking over in 1978 and we have no records for the products which were made before this date.
    May we suggest to ask to a collector of watches or to a museum ?"

So hopefully someone can tell me something about this watch.

It is a beautiful ladies watch. It would help for anyone trying to date it to see the movement inside. I do not know.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes - very beautiful. If it has British hallmarks we can date it from those. Stylewise, very difficult as its a style that was in use over a long period.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Southampton UK as prisoner of work but home is a village in La Mayenne.

Without going into some rather dull technical detail, cymaflex is a shockproofing system which may save the watch from damage if dropped and CYMA was the trade name of Tavannes, a Swiss watch manufacturing company that made their own movements (many firms don't,) which had a reputation for very good quality. A very pretty watch and worth taking to a trusted watchmaker to be serviced as spares for these are getting rare so it is very important to keep it healthy.

I dont think I am game to open the watch as I dont trust myself that I wouldnt break anything. The watch was serviced/cleaned in 2004. How often should a watch be serviced? Would the value of the watch be in the gold and diamonds or the watch itself in your opinions? It was valued at AU$5000 in 2004 although the gold index is some two and a half times the price today so would it be wise to have the value of the watch reassessed?

Depends on how it's being assessed. Most of its "value" will lie in the gold and diamonds, but I assume that the "Package" is worth more then the sum of its parts. That said, the movement adds value by making it a functional watch. However, the movement itself probably isn't worth very much on its own.

If the watch is being used regularily, then I'd recommend having it serviced every five years or so. Ladies dress watches weren't usually dust or moisture proof. If it's just being stored, you should be good for a decade or more, but I'd make a point of servicing before returning it to use.

The assessed value is probably only useful for insurance purposes, unless you're looking to sell it (and I doubt you'd get anywhere near the assessed value on resale anyway).
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

The watch never gets worn and is stored. It was last serviced in 2004. The watch works fine and keeps good time. Are there valuers that focus mainly on watches. Someone that could open the watch and tell me approx the date of manufacture.

I believe that your watch dates to the 1950s.
    The Cymaflex antishock system was patented in the late 40s.
    Assuming he is still with you, your grandfather may know when his mother received the watch.
    Something that ornate was likely to have been given on a very special occasion, such as a birthday or anniversary.
    If you do take it to a watchmaker, be sure to take clear close-up pictures of both the movement (the "watch works") and the inside of the caseback.
    A close examination of the tiny numbers scratched inside the caseback by watchmakers might also help to date the watch--though these probably won't be visible in pictures.
    The movement may be known to have only been manufactured during a particular timespan or, as another poster mentioned, there may be date hallmarks.
    Cyma was originally a brand of the Tavannes Watch Company.
    Tavannes may have info, however, I think that the present Tavannes is an entirely new company, so it's doubtful.

Thread Information