Czech Pilot Watches
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Czech Pilot Watches

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Czech Pilot Watches

My three Czech pilot watches (Longines, Lemania, and Eterna) are now all assembled in one place, finally, so I can post some photos. Also known as "Majetek" or "Tartarugone" models, they were made for the Czech military in the 1930s and 1940s. In some cases, civilian models were also sold.

Name:  fronts.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  306.6 KB

Much has been written about these watches and I've included a few links below. For the Longines, there were three series made, using different movements. Some have enamel dials, and some have metal dials. Mine is the least common second series (cal 15.26, enamel dial), with only about 500 made, dating to ~1938. Given the desirability of this second series, and the condition of the dial and case, I was willing to make some compromises in other areas. There continues to be a debate about whether the Longines were all issued with cathedral hands, or whether two types of hands were used. (Certainly, MANY of the watches with cathedral hands have incorrect cathedral hands, which greatly confuses the situation). Correct or not, the hands are obviously re-lumed, and the crown is not correct. The Lemania and Eterna both appear to be all original (or correct, at least), although there is some weirdness around the numbers on the dial of the Lemania, that may be radium-related damage, or perhaps the result of an attempt at cleaning.

IN-DEPTH: The Lineage of the Longines Czech Aviator Chronometre — THE WATCH ADVISER
    Eterna Majetek and Longines Tartarugone: Czech Aviator Watches - Grail Watch
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/eter...ime-ww2.35055/
    https://moonphase.fr/lepopee-des-pil...na-et-lemania/
    Longines Czech Aviators watch..
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f7/long...lp-727359.html

Name:  backs.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  265.1 KB

My Longines does not have the case-back engravings that would prove it was actually issued, so it may be a civilian version. The Eterna has the crossed-swords stamp on the front of the lug and the correct case-back engraving. And the Lemania has the correct case-back engraving. So both of those were apparently issued.

Name:  longines.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  364.3 KB

Name:  eterna.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  318.0 KB

Name:  lemania.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  280.4 KB

These are all large watches, but the Longines is huge, 40.5mm across, and feels gigantic on my wrist because of the large distance across the diagonal. Uniquely, it also has a knurled rotating bezel that moves the internal pointer. The other two are 38.5mm across. The Longines has 24mm fixed lugs (yes, seriously ... good luck finding an appropriate strap), and the other two have 21mm lugs, with spring-bars.

Apart from the issues mentioned above, from a collectors standpoint, it's important to find cases that still show some remnant of the bevel on the diagonals (i.e. dividing the lug from the side of the bezel). Sometimes they are completely polished down to the point where the whole "bezel" is completely smooth with no facets. If you look at my Eterna, you can really see how the case is supposed to look. The other two have been polished, but the facets are still visible. Importantly, for the Longines and the Eterna, there are numbers stamped on the back of a lug that should match numbers stamped on or in the case-back.

It has taken me nearly two years of patience to assemble these, and while they are far from perfect, I'm pleased overall, and I really enjoy wearing them. And I am still trying to learn more about them.
    Last edited by badbackdan; December 3rd, 2017 at 03:59.
    probep, golfindoc, mrs_LA and 10 others like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Re: Czech Pilot Watches

Great looking watches. Being born and raised in Czech I like the fact that these watches comes from there;) Thank you for sharing
    badbackdan likes this.

Very cool
    badbackdan likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That Eterna gets me drooling.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    That Eterna gets me drooling.
    Well, you're just a sucker for an Eterna.

But seriously, I think the Eterna is my favorite also, even with the puffy radium. I love the gilt dial and the condition of the case. Even the shape of the case, which is subtly different, has a lot of style. It's also fun to have the crossed swords visible right on the front of the case.
    mkws and busmatt like this.

Great patience to work through all the variables and often confusing and murky info to bring together a nice little collection. The longines with the pointer is very interesting and its size really points to an early aviators watch. Can you please show the movements.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by James A View Post
    Great patience to work through all the variables and often confusing and murky info to bring together a nice little collection. The longines with the pointer is very interesting and its size really points to an early aviators watch. Can you please show the movements.

Regards,
    Absolutely, happy to post some movement photos.

Longines movement before and during service.

Name:  longines.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  121.3 KB
    Name:  longines_service.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  43.8 KB
    Last edited by badbackdan; December 3rd, 2017 at 02:41.
    busmatt, James A and pilotswatch like this.

Eterna, seller movement photo, and one during service.

Views: 429
Size:  124.0 KB

Name:  eterna_service.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  53.4 KB
    busmatt, pilotswatch, mkws and 1 others like this.

Lemania movement

Name:  lemania.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  178.3 KB
    busmatt and pilotswatch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    Eterna, seller movement photo, and one during service.

Views: 429
Size:  124.0 KB

Name:  eterna_service.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  53.4 KB
    Calibre 852SH (base 852, indirectly driven sweep second, Eterna-H shock device). I hate to be the killjoy, but - IIRC - these watches were supplied to Czechoslovakian Air Force prior to WW2, and during the CSAF's exile in Britain, and the serial on this movement points to 1949/1950, which is a bit too late.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information