D. Gruen's Columbus W. Co. examples

Thread: D. Gruen's Columbus W. Co. examples

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

D. Gruen's Columbus W. Co. examples

Dietrich Gruen was president Of Columbus 1874-94. Age 21-41 before organizing Gruen watch business. I never kept any old Columbus watches and had some good ones. As a recent Gruen collector recently bought an 1888 16 size with odd regulator and a very good 1894 Railway King. These are both Gruen designs not the Aeby Swiss movements used by Gruen in early Columbus watches. Columbus was a small volume producer. 1888 10 per day made. 1894 serial number only 230,000. Lever setting moves sideways clockwise to set. Not sure later ones do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; September 25th, 2010 at 14:34.

Re: D. Gruen's Columbus W. Co. examples

Early Columbus Watch Co is interesting. Yesterday I lost the opportunity of buying one like in your first picture (which by some reason does not expand to full size) due to my computer went into a freeze. I hate that.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Photo checks o.k. here. Later 16 size do not have this odd regulater. Were you looking at same, but different age? Serial number? Gruen made lever set pendant wind 16 size before 1880. Serial 47xx. First to do so?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I live within walking distance of the old Columbus Watch Company's site. It is now in the middle of downtown Columbus (i.e. nothing remains).

There is a wonderful book, Buckey Horology by James W. Gibbs. Gibbs was once the president of the NAWCC and wrote the book in 1971. It includes a 1940 letter written 5 years before his death by Frederick Gruen giving details on the history of his father's adventures with the Columbus Watch Company and later the Gruen Watchmakers Guild.

Columbus was done in by one of the periodic bank/credit panics that pervaded capitalistic systems before Keynes show how stimulus by governments can control them. But from its failure grew Gruen.

I have a few myself. My watchmaker hates working on pocket watches so I'm saving getting them all working for my coming retirement -- gads I'll be busy after I retire!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

It was ebay item 190445561427 now ended. You can find it searching ebay with that number.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Eeeb that is a nice collection!
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Sure enough. Notice the South Bend from The company that acquired Columbus after 1903. I am acquainted with a Studebaker whose ancestors financed South Bend. I bought a Studebaker S.B. model for him.

very impressive collection eebthanks for sharing
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_H View Post
    It was ebay item 190445561427 now ended. You can find it searching ebay with that number.
    As you write, the same thing. 96k compared to 97k. I think is relatively rare. Bid value not far off. I paid $50+ more for the silver cased one. Cheap for a rare Columbus, but I assume you noticed the ebay one regulator missing parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; October 3rd, 2010 at 15:45.

I have decided to stop looking so much for watches from ebay and rather get them from my chapter friends.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information