Dad's watch: Croton Aquamatic

Thread: Dad's watch: Croton Aquamatic

Dad's watch: Croton Aquamatic

Can anyone tell me about this watch? I recently bumped into it while going through some old things. I remember when when Dad retired this watch for that fancy digital Casio when he opened a new account at the local bank (1976?). I would like to get it cleaned and adjusted. What kind of accuracy could I expect from it? Thanks!

Chas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Dad's watch: Croton Aquamatic

It's a nice watch... middle level grade... quite collectible. Assuming nothing is seriously wrong with the watch you will probably get about 15 sec/day accuracy. Others may have more to add...

Welcome and thanks for the pics.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Croton was a sub-brand of Nivada (Grenchen). Both made good-quality watches with generic ETA, A. Schild, etc. movements. Nice watch you got there!

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Note on the case back the watch is engraved "water proof". Uncle Sam said this claim was a fraudulent and disallowed watch manufacturers from using it sometime in the 1950s or possibly in the early 1960s. That's when the current "water resistant" came into use.

How are Croton's of current manufacture related to this one?

Quote Originally Posted by James Haury View Post
    How are Croton's of current manufacture related to this one?
    I believe this is another example of an established name being acquired as a brand for Asians. They are currently a US based vendor of Asian watches. It is still a serious vendor and produces their own line of watches and watches for other vendors for resale. Some utilize Swiss movements but all are encased in Asia.

You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I see a lot of Croton around here. Correct me if I am wrong but, I asked at a NAWCC mart about them. But as memory tells me, I was told they were sold by door to door salesmen. Nice watches for the money.

Thanks for the replies! What sort of band did these come with originally? What kind would look nice this go around? I see that there are wear grooves in the lugs which is consistent with the metal and I remember. I think my dad had a Speidel band.

Remember the old "twist-o-flex" commercials?

Quote Originally Posted by booklikeabook View Post
    Thanks for the replies! What sort of band did these come with originally? What kind would look nice this go around? I see that there are wear grooves in the lugs which is consistent with the metal and I remember. I think my dad had a Speidel band.

Remember the old "twist-o-flex" commercials?
    twist-o-flex Spidels were popular in their day and did gouge a lot of lugs... but they were not OEM. Just as today there was a large variety of options.

I just stumbled upon this post tonight, and I have an identical Croton Aquamatic given to me by my Grandmother as a High school Graduaion gift in 1968 in Upstate New York. The watch still runs beautifully and accurately , I rarely wear it these days and if I remember correctly it was purchased in a jewelery store in Albany , NY and has been serviced Twice in the 40 years that I have owned it I put the Navajo Silver bracelets on it with a Speidel band in 1979 when I moved to New Mexico. The second Croton Aquamatic belonged to my Dad and I inhereted it from him when he passed away in 2002. I would appreciate any info on year of mfg. and jewel count that any one might have. It was serviced in 2002 and runs very well.
    Thanks Rob31 NAWCC Ch. 106,149
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Rob31; November 3rd, 2008 at 03:19.

Thread Information