DannyK's Swiss watch

Thread: DannyK's Swiss watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DannyK's Swiss watch

Here is the first one, ill post another here shortly. I inherited it recently. Note the date "Dec 25 99". So its an olddd watch, but my knowledge is so limited I do not even know where to start. If anyone could shed some light as to what this is, would be great. :thanks

edit- the date is 1899 (it only says 99, but family history says it has to be 1899)

Re: Any idea what this is? One from the late 1800s....

You are correct, this could not be a 1799 watch (nor a 1999!). It is difficult to say more without seeing the movement.
    Last edited by Eeeb; August 29th, 2008 at 09:13.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    You are correct, this could not be a 1799 watch (nor a 1999!). It is difficult to say more without seeing the movement.

How do I go about getting to the movement?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The back opens... usually by inserting a fingernail or small knife and prying up. Don't use too much force. If it doesn't open easily, take it to a watchmaker or jeweler.

You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

The back opens... usually by inserting a fingernail or small knife and prying up. Don't use too much force. If it doesn't open easily, take it to a watchmaker or jeweler.

Ok i will look again. I didn't even see a seam last night while looking at it. :thanks

here we go..

Paydirt! an Elgin ... probably a Model 1 ... made in 1896 in Elgin Illinois USofA. Note the beautiful finish to the movement. The case is RGP (rolled gold plate) with a nice thick layer of gold. The name on the dial is probably that of the jeweler who initially sold it.

You can see by the different finish to the screws that the watch has been maintained. This has not sat in a drawer all its life!

Ray will be able to tell you more but that's most of it.

I guess this makes the first title of this thread confusing!
    Last edited by Eeeb; August 30th, 2008 at 06:04.

Paydirt! an Elgin ... probably a Model 1 ... made in 1896 in Elgin Illinois USofA. Note the beautiful finish to the movement. The case is RGP (rolled gold plate) with a nice thick layer of gold. The name on the dial is probably that of the jeweler who initially sold it.

You can see by the different finish to the screws that the watch has been maintained. This has not sat in a drawer all its life!

Ray will be able to tell you more but that's most of it.

I guess this makes the first title of this thread confusing!
    Thanks for all that information! Is it of any significant value (is it worth buying some sort of case to keep it in?)

*runs over to google*

ps. Its keeping time at the moment (last 15min or so).

The case isn't to my liking, but yes, I'd say: Buy a case or a stand to put the watch in. Good to hear that the watch keeps time. Find a good watchmaker who can service and timecheck the watch, and then you can use it every day.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information