Date change Omega Cal.355

Thread: Date change Omega Cal.355

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Date change Omega Cal.355

I just picked up a 1955 Omega Automatic Seamaster Calander Cal.355 and just wanted to know if the only way to change the date is to forward 24hrs untill the right date? Here are some pics.
    Last edited by airgood; January 5th, 2012 at 18:50.

Re: Date change Omega Cal.355

Hi, very nice watch you have.

When you reach past twelve and the date has jumped forward, move the hands backwards
    three hours to the nine then forwards again till the date jumps again, repeat as necessary.

Hi and thank you.
    Last edited by airgood; January 7th, 2012 at 19:44.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by airgood View Post
    I just picked up a 1955 Omega Automatic Seamaster Calander Cal.355 and just wanted to know if the only way to change the date is to forward 24hrs untill the right date?
    You are correct. There is no quick set date on these watches. You can turn the hands backwards past midnight and the date will decrease. I don't think that is good for the movement, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa
    Last edited by gatorcpa; January 4th, 2012 at 20:07.

Beautiful "date @ 6" you've got! Yep, 24hr advance is it on that one.
    Dave
    Hi, my name is Dave, and I'm a Chronoholic. It's been almost a XXXX day since my last chrono buy. I'm still going through DTs, and I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out.

Very nice combo with the bracelet. The dial has been refinished, correct? They did a pretty good job.

Yes, unfortunately, the date on these is only a slow-set. The semi-quickset method that radger describes is only with the cal. 561/562 I believe (ca. early '60s).

Thank you. I bought the watch like this but I am sure it has been refinished at some point as it looks too good. The only thing I need to do is to change the crown as it is not signed but it actually looks nice and may decide to leave it. Was this the only way to change the date on all watches from around this era? Do you know if this is a rare model?
    Last edited by airgood; January 7th, 2012 at 19:46.

The only thing I need to do is to change the crown as it is not signed but it actually looks nice and may decide to leave it.
    Probably should get a Seamaster clover style crown like this:

They're avaliable from watch part supply companies like Jules Borel or Ofrei.com. Just ask for a steel crown for case reference 2627.

Was this the only way to change the date on all watches from around this era?
    I'm pretty sure that by 1955 there were some quick-set date movements from other manufacturers. However, if you want an Omega Seamaster with the date at "6", all are non-quick set.

Do you know if this is a rare model and any idea what this watch could be worth? I just recently bought it but was thinking to maybe sell it and buy one with the quickset date.
    I wouldn't call it rare, as there are always a few of them out there for sale. We're really not supposed to discuss valuations on this forum. Take a look at eBay closed auctions for a good idea of value. If you want a real unusual quick-set, look for an Omega with a cal. 564 or 565 movement. These have a very cool pump action date.

An English, French, Spanish Omega Owners Manual for the 564 movement

If you want to sell, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a buyer. Just hope that you didn't pay too much.

Take care,
    gatorcpa

Would you know if this size crown would fit?
    SIZE: 5,24D x 3,05H mm [1 inch = 25.4 mm]. 'D' refers to the crown's diameter [from one side of the circle to the other side of the circle]. 'H' refers to the crown's height [from the bottom of the crown to the top of the crown; i.e. from where it screws to the stem to the top of the logo side].
    TAP: 0.90mm
    Last edited by airgood; January 7th, 2012 at 19:47.

Quote Originally Posted by adam78 View Post

Yes, unfortunately, the date on these is only a slow-set. The semi-quickset method that radger describes is only with the cal. 561/562 I believe (ca. early '60s).
    Oooops, my bad, I apologise.

I learn something new every day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information