Date disc printing quality - JLC Memovox E855
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Date disc printing quality - JLC Memovox E855

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Confused Date disc printing quality - JLC Memovox E855

I recently purchased a JLC Memovox E855. It's my first vintage watch purchase and I haven't been able to stop myself from wearing it or admiring it. That said, a few things have caught my attention that make me question the originality of the piece and would appreciate some input from the forum:

There are two items that caught my eye:

1. "AUTOMATIC" sits really close to the minute chapter
    2. The "26" on the date disc is "smudgy" with what looks to be ink blobbing or smearing

I'm wondering if these are indications of a sub-par redial/frankenwatch or whether quality in the 1960s was a bit variable and I got an example that's less than perfect.

Name:  2015-07-26 14.12.04 copy.jpeg
Views: 182
Size:  215.5 KB

Thanks for your help!

Re: Date disc printing quality - JLC Memovox E855

Quality? Variable? In the 1960s? No. And certainly not in JLC. In my opinion what you have is an old redial. The company logo should sit closer to the "JL", which means that both "Jaeger-LeCoultre" and "Automatic" are placed too low. The print on the date disc is messy. I don't know what sits inside the watch- if the movement is OK, then what you have is a badly re-done dial and date disc. The first result of googling out "vintage jlc memovox" in Google Images will speak for itself I think. Let's see what the others will say.
    If it is- as I believe- a bad redial, I think that if it's too late to return the watch, a good thing to do would be finding a proper watch restoration expert, who will redial the watch in a way which will give any of us a dilemma "is it the real thing, or is it a redial?", because that's the measure of how accurate a redial is. I don't know how about a new date disc, but I would be kind of surprised if no parts supply would exist for the JLC Memovox.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thanks for the input. I had a funny feeling but held out a ray of hope. The movement itself seems fine. It keeps good time and the alarm goes off as it should.

I did look at Google for quite a bit and see many examples with the "Automatic" very close to the minutes chapter, but a few that are more centered between the JLC logo and chapter ring. :-/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes, there appear to be examples with the "automatic" close to the chapter ring, but not THAT close. Markers of the chapter ring on your watch touch the T, A and C in "automatic", and IMO this absolutely should not be the case. I simply do not believe that JLC would ever let that happen in any of their watches.
    As to the date disc, I think that there also is another explanation for the "smudgy" 26. It could be a cleaning attempt gone wrong...
    Last edited by mkws; July 27th, 2015 at 17:41.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Yep, I think someone took a swipe at the date dial and found out that the ink on date dials is usually water soluble. Darn. Both can be reprinted to quite a high standard, in my opinion. I don't think that JLC had variable quality, so I'd agree with mkws that this is probably an older re-dial.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    Yes, there appear to be examples with the "automatic" close to the chapter ring, but not THAT close. Markers of the chapter ring on your watch touch the T, A and C in "automatic", and IMO this absolutely should not be the case. I simply do not believe that JLC would ever let that happen in any of their watches.
    As to the date disc, I think that there also is another explanation for the "smudgy" 26. It could be a cleaning attempt gone wrong...

This is not JLC Memovox quality.
    That watch - self-winding and date, was a major high-lite and iconic piece.

To me a redial piece
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Possibly a refinished dial, but I doubt it.
    These black models have the "automatic" close to the minute markers too.

Name:  jlc1.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  660.7 KBName:  jlc3.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  42.1 KB

Some more E885 models.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vi...e+memovox+e885

Bobbee, look carefully at the OP's photo, and the one you have just posted- there is nothing wrong with "automatic" being CLOSE to the chapter ring, but in OP's watch it's clear that the letters are touching on the chapter ring, which should not be the case- as I have said, JLC just wouldn't have let that happen.
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

Alas, a return is looking challenging. At the very least, I'd be out a decent amount of money. Since I still enjoy the watch, I'm thinking of keeping it and seeing if someone can at least put in an appropriate clean date disc for me without taking my first newborn.

Depending on where you are and what the movement calibre is, you may be able to find a new date disk. Cousins UK lists one in the range of £70. You will be able to find one out there with a bit of looking. If the watch was serviced before you bought it, you may get someone kind enough to install it for a modest sum. If you are patient and diligent, you may even find a dial, but that's a more vexed issue, as finding a genuine one will be tough. And I daresay, expensive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Habitant; July 28th, 2015 at 15:42.
    Emre and mkws like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information