Dating a Hamilton Odyssee
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By medinfoto
  • 1 Post By HamiltonElectric

Thread: Dating a Hamilton Odyssee

Dating a Hamilton Odyssee

Well, I posted earlier about looking for a crystal since this one appeared from the images to be in poor shape. However once I received the watch I was pleasantly surprised that it was nearly flawless and was just quite dirty. The dial has some nice patina on it, but other than that the watch looks quite good and seems to keep time accurately.

Is there a way to figure out the manufacturing year (and month?) from the caseback?

And what are these things worth? I see prices all over the map for them.... thanks in advance!

JP71624 likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Dating a Hamilton Odyssee

All I can say from that case is: seventies. Possibly late sixties but I have my doubts.....

Hartmut Richter

No way to date it by the case. It was first offered in 1969 and stayed in the catalog through 1974.

There are two versions. For 1969 only the dial had circular holes for markers, and wide triangular hands. In the 1970 catalog it changed to your style, with baton markers and hands. That style remained unchanged until it was discontinued and is more common than the early style.

Both were sold only with metal band but the style of the band changed from the first version to the second.
    Attached Images Attached Images

pmwas likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks! I kept reading these were initially introduced in 1968 and thought they were only sold for a year or two. So mine would be a '70-'74 then. It's a pity I don't have the original band; any idea if reproductions are available? I'd image original ones are hard to come by!

Service wise, these should be fairly easy to handle for any experienced watchmaker, right? I read something about the case construction being a bit quirky but the movement is a plain 694A/ETA2472 as far as I understand.

Believe it or not, I seem to recall an Odyssee bracelet surfaced on eBay a while back. Keep looking, expect to pay.... The band on the second watch is very similar to those made by NSA, can't remember if they are in fact NSA, but at any rate the is a whole market for that brand of bracelets (also used on some Zeniths and few others).
    As to service, I am unaware of there being anything tricky about them.

Thread Information