Dating Rado Companion
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Dating Rado Companion

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Dating Rado Companion

Hi, is anyone able to help me to date this Rado companion? This is my first Rado :)

JUMBO MENS RADO COMPANION AUTOMATIC DAY/DATE Serviced - eBay (item 200547503507 end time Dec-02-10 11:21:21 PST)

Re: Dating Rado Companion

ca 1975
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Hi!

Congrats, that´s a nice Companion you found! IMHO everything is original, the case is polished. If the acrylic crystal is still the original one, you find a small anchor in the center, otherwise it´s replaced.
    This Companion is one of the early models from the late 1960s. You can recognise that from the movement, a nice GP 25 jw-AS 1859. 1968, Rado lost it´s independance and was sold to the General Watch Company, a holding of the ASUAG(today: Swatch Group, together with the SSIH, the other large trust of the Swiss watch industry at that time). From the beginning 1970s on, Rado used ETA-movements. Your Companion also has the old 5-digit reference(11638, which is correct after my register), from 1972 on, the new 8-digit references came(123.4567.8).
    indonesia and M52Power like this.
    Best regards, Mike

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Mike, that's great information. You are obviously knowledgeable when it comes to Rado! Can you tell what the significance of the moving anchor is? To me this seems like an uncommon and unusual feature.

Hi!

The moving-anchor-logo is both a gimmick and a service indicator, find more info here.
    indonesia likes this.
    Best regards, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike184 View Post
    Hi!

The moving-anchor-logo is both a gimmick and a service indicator, find more info here.
    Cool. I didn't know that.

I definitely want to get me a Rado one day, preferably a Diastar or some other auto/mechanical one.

Great website Mike! Cheers :)

Hi
    Im new here and just buy my first RADO companion. Can someone tell me something about the watch? Is it good deal about cca 100 $ (without shipping).

Vintage Men's Rado Companion Automatic Black Dial St Steel Watch Clean | eBay

thanks.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Welcome to the Vintage forum. If you are happy with the watch, it is a good deal at any price (meaning that the price will also influence you being happy with it or not!). Unfortunately the whole subject is rather subjective, which is why we don't give valuations on this forum. On the whole, it seems to me that you did all right, though. Black dials are frequently non-genuine in vintage watches since a grubby dial is often repainted black, never mind whether it started that way or not since 1. it is easier to cover up stains and damages if you paint them over black instead of white and 2. black original dials are rather rarer so, as long as noone catches on to your cheating ways, you get more $$$ for your "improved" watch! Taking a close look at this one, I can't see any of the usual telltale signs so I would think that this one is genuine. Congratulations!

Hartmut Richter

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast