Dating a Vertex watch... - Page 2

Thread: Dating a Vertex watch...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Dating a Vertex watch...

Here is a picture of my Dad's vertex - looks very much like yours. He got it whilst serving in the merchant navy, he thinks around 1958. So that might help you date the watch. Interestingly, although I have no pictures of the rear at the moment, his didnt have 'vertex' on the rear of the case, just a serial number like yours (though I cant remember what it was exactly). Anyway - based on that, I would estimate the 50's as being the right sort of time line.

PS there is one subtle difference - my dad's version has the hands in gold, where as yours arent. Not sure if that affects the dating or not.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by squidsworth; March 1st, 2012 at 17:47.

Quote Originally Posted by squidsworth View Post
    Here is a picture of my Dad's vertex - looks very much like yours. He got it whilst serving in the merchant navy, he thinks around 1958. So that might help you date the watch. Interestingly, although I have no pictures of the rear at the moment, his didnt have 'vertex' on the rear of the case, just a serial number like yours (though I cant remember what it was exactly). Anyway - based on that, I would estimate the 50's as being the right sort of time line.

PS there is one subtle difference - my dad's version has the hands in gold, where as yours arent. Not sure if that affects the dating or not.

Does any one know what happen to Vertex the company if it still around today?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Eggleton View Post
    Does any one know what happen to Vertex the company if it still around today?
    Yes its owned by Thommen SA
    see the other thread running on Vertex
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I guess this is a rare case then...
    Patina denotes a genuine dial or maybe a very old redial?
    Name:  Vertex.JPG
Views: 545
Size:  159.3 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi there,

Vertex London and Vertex La Chaux de Fonds are likely confused by Pritchard. I believe this, because I've never seen a watch with "Vertex" alone - all were signed "Vertex Revue", even those with Dennison cases. So this watch is likeley a genuine Revue, additionally signed by the UK importer Vertex.

I noticed on Revue watches between 1930 and 1955 (after style and technology) an apparently uniform case numbering at least on steel cases, and few watches with known age fit well into this still pretty rough grid. After these records, the number 423830 was made 1949, and I guess this matches also the style, and the movement technology.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Attention!!
    Non english speaker.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information