Dating a vintage Eterna-Matic Sahida

Thread: Dating a vintage Eterna-Matic Sahida

Dating a vintage Eterna-Matic Sahida

Hi there,
    I just bought an old Eterna-Matic Sahida for my wife. It´s in a squared stainless steel casing and was sold to have a caliber 1446U. There is a number on the back reading 4537780.

As there seems very little information about this lady´s watch on the internet, maybe someone here can help providing me with details? I found only one picture of an Eterna-Matic in a case shaped like this (it was a golden one with date and was said to be from 1957 or so) and no infos about the caliber…

Looking forward to more infos, greets,
    speedy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Dating a vintage Eterna-Matic Sahida

Welcome to the Vintage forum.
    It's really hard to date a lady's watch. The Ranfft archive dates the 1446U caliber to the late 1950s. The hands are typical of what you'd see in a late 1960s watch.
    The case number is really of no help in dating it.
    Probably around 1960 would be a good guess.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thanks for this quick answer!
    Interesting to hear about the hands. As I do not have any tool for opening the case (yet) I can´t provide a pic or serial no. of the movement.
    But 60s would have been my guess, too, and that is precise enough

Hope my wife likes it – she´ll get it tomorrow. I also bought her a 70s Seiko hi-beat auto with daydate (but that has to be arriving still). Nice to see that lady´s vintages are sold at very reasonable prizes…

Greets, Speedy

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think dating square watches is harder than round ones... they are less common so you see fewer of them and they tend to be very similar over the years. In the past few years Tissot has made a watch that looks very much like this one.

Yours looks quite clean and, of course, we love movement pics!

Post the Seiko too... (I bought my wife one thinking the hi-beat meant 36000 bph - that way she could share on one of my collection niches - but it was only 28K bph... oh well.)
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Well, I believe I´ll have more watches and appropriate tools soon, so please be patient with the photos…

The Eterna is in good condition, case looks very good, only very tiny scratches in the crystal, movement starts with no probs and keeps good time. Original crown. The dial though has some signs of age on it and I´ll have to wait if my wife likes it or not. The watchmaker said there was only one company refurbishing vintage dials and it would cost about 100,- bucks to do so. I wonder if it would be possible for me to open the watch and clean it for myself?

Oh, I´ll attach the Seiko for Eeeb, but it´s only the ebay-pic as it has not arrived.

Speedy
    Attached Images Attached Images

In most situations it's a good idea to leave a dial in the condition it was when found.
    Cleaning it except for a light brush or rodico debris pickup can make it worse. Most older watches should look a little worn anyway.
    For high end vintage, redialing the watch usually makes it less collectible and lowers value.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Hi speedy,

due to the variety of models, cases were produced in batches, and put on
    stock for later use, while movements were produced virtually continuously.
    Therefore the serial number of the case of an Eterna is usually lower than the
    movement number, and the differnce is varying.

Anyway, both numbers are not far apart, and the case number would date
    your watch approximately to 1959. A more precise dating is possible with the
    movement number.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Thread Information