Death to eBay Global Shipping Program!
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Death to eBay Global Shipping Program!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Death to eBay Global Shipping Program!

Another rant…

I wanted to buy a vintage crown off someone on eBay. He's in the US, I'm in the UK. He is using GSP for his shipping. In my opinion, GSP is a swindle. It collects the taxes which might be due on an item and creams off some vig for Pitney Bowes, who run the system. Thing is, if I order a crown, a few bucks already, it usually scoots through with no taxes being added. And - because I buy small parts all the time from US sellers on eBay and independents all the time – they can simply pop it in standard Air Mail service and it gets to me really, really fast. With GSP, the seller 'has' to send it tracked (slower) - remember we are talking about a crown, right? - so the postage cost goes right up in inverse proportion to the speed of delivery. This silly little Bulova crown is costing me $30! OUCH.

It gets better. I thought I'd buy two, combine shipping, make it a little less painful per item. Guess what? You can't combine shipping with GSP! (Or so eBay customer service says…) So even though the items will almost certainly be put in the same envelope, I get mugged twice. So the seller has lost one tiny sale, as I can dodge the second buy. But not the first.

Better still. The seller, a dealer of some scale, hasn't answered my many emails asking for more information (he has the same item [crown #139] listed 3 times, with different postage rates, and one of them says "signed" the others don't - are they the real thing if unsigned? I think not, I can find a Bestfit crown easily enough…) and his one (lame) answer was… "I've been really busy, I'll try to find out." Of course, he hasn't.

So: death to GSP. If you're a dealer and have fallen for this, please know that I would never buy anything using this system - in this case, I really have no choice (long story) and so I grudgingly go along with it this time. Death to GSP, it's rubbish.

End of incredibly frustrated rant, thanks for listening.
    Last edited by Habitant; November 24th, 2015 at 17:16.
    Sofa-Lofa, nome93, Wibbs and 2 others like this.

Kent, UK (The Concrete Garden of England)

Re: Death to eBay Global Shipping Program!

I've no personal experience with GSP but have only heard bad news/horror stories about it,

Cheers for the heads up
    bobbee and Ticonderoga like this.
    Seiko Citizen Orient Mido Dunhill Favre Leuba Felca/Titoni G.W.S. HMT Peerex Fortis + Some other crap

It's a swindle indeed. If a seller insists on using GSP, I cancel the deal, period.

Tomcat

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    nome93, Wibbs, eri231 and 3 others like this.
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Same here, except this time I can't and the idiot can't cope with his own business. A shame he's got the stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat1960 View Post
    It's a swindle indeed. If a seller insists on using GSP, I cancel the deal, period.

Tomcat

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    bobbee likes this.

Yeah! I can't stand the damn shipping program. People sure do take advantage of the taxes. Should be illegal.
    Last edited by nome93; November 24th, 2015 at 18:15.
    bobbee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat1960 View Post
    This. I just refuse to deal with anyone using that programme. Massive swindle.
    bobbee and nome93 like this.

Update. The eBay seller who couldn't trouble himself to answer my emails has already shipped the item. Took about him about ten minutes to respond to the purchase order. Funny that. I guess I ought to reward him with some special feedback, eh?
    bobbee likes this.

I use a shipping service that gives me local addresses in UK, USA and China. The one I use only works for NZ (it is run by NZPOST our government postal service), but you might have access to a similar service. The cost is about 1/2 to 2/3 what most ebay vendors charge, parcels from multiple vendors can be consolidated for a discounted rate (I have 3 or 4 in the current batch). It is about 1/4 the cost of GSP.

So I'd suggest you look for something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    I use a shipping service that gives me local addresses in UK, USA and China. The one I use only works for NZ (it is run by NZPOST our government postal service), but you might have access to a similar service. The cost is about 1/2 to 2/3 what most ebay vendors charge, parcels from multiple vendors can be consolidated for a discounted rate (I have 3 or 4 in the current batch). It is about 1/4 the cost of GSP.

What service do You use for USA?
    Chaos is my focus

Good tip, trim. Never thought it before, although I know of ones from Japan>"The West", never thought about the US. Anyway, here's a first link for y'all for a US>UK service, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information