DF&C pocket watch mystery help please....
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eri231

Thread: DF&C pocket watch mystery help please....

RTB

DF&C pocket watch mystery help please....

I've been searching the web for a month plus on & off, but have come up empty on this DF&C. I can't work out the date even to see if it's a Swiss fake for the Elgin "Commonwealth" tagged pocket watch or something totally different. Any input would be gratefully accepted.
    It even looks like someone in the past has purposely damaged the 'W' in the wording because the rest of the watch shows very little signs of wear. The bow is tight & the crown hardly looks used. It has a broken balance & maybe shaft & is dirty inside, like it's been in a draw for years with the back open. I'm at a loss to find anything........help please.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: DF&C pocket watch mystery help please....

Hi and a welcome from me.

I don't know anything except that DF&C is Dimier Freres et Cie.

Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

It is not a Swiss fake as it is clearly identified as Swiss. The fakes assumed American names (as this one does) but hid their Swiss origin.

The dial is, I assume, porcelain, and was probably inadvertently damaged sometime in its life by an inexpert watchmaker or owner. That is as common in watches as it is in vintage cars...

I'm not a pocket watch expert but this looks to be a relatively low end watch (in modern terms - when it was made it was middle range but loss of the old low end watches over time makes this low end).

I don't know the brand but I suspect one of the real experts will be able to say something.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

D.F.& C. was the Marque Depose (registered Trade Mark of George Dimier SA. La Chaux de Fonds
    Company was founded in 1902 for watch cases and parts
    Since yours is marked on movement I can presume they made the movement and not just the case.

Hope that helps

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: Kathleen Pritchard - Swiss Timepieces
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

RTB

Thanks all, I think 'copy' would have been a better choice of word than fake for me to use there.
    I don't think I've ever seen the word 'make' instead of made in my very limited viewing of images to date either.
    I did find some of the input but I can't find a similar movement anywhere I've looked on the web.
    Appreciate your input, every bit adds up & gives new leads ;) The hunt continues :) :)

"The two sons of Antoine Dimier of Geneva, Charles- Louis (1822-1896) and Auguste-Antoine (1824-1891), formed an association in 1848. The brothers graduated from the Collège de Genève and were then initiated into the art of watchmaking in a factory at Chaux-de- Fonds. About 1846 they set up a business in Fleurier, where Auguste Dimier managed the manufacture of “Chinese” watches while Charles Dimier became the sales director, leaving at about the same time for Canton, where he founded the commercial firm of Dimier & Cie, with a special Chinese trademark pronounced Tien Ye. Business came to a complete halt in 1860 because of the war in China and Charles returned to Switzerland, where in 1862 he and his brother left Fleurier for Geneva."

regards enrico
    RTB likes this.

Thread Information