Dial refinishing - take 2....

Thread: Dial refinishing - take 2....

Dial refinishing - take 2....

I posted this under watchmaking the other day but did not get a good answer yet so I thought I would post it here:
    One of my main sources of GRIEF regarding watch restorations is having the dial refinished. I don't like any refinished dials but sometimes there is no other option. I have used International Dial (US) and Dialcraft (Canada) many times in the past but they are slow and the results seem to be potluck - ranging from very good to unusable. They have both done jobs that I had to send back. I have used Kirk a few times and the work was good but at 3 to 4 times the cost, its not someone many of my customers want to pay for. So, I would like to hear about some alternatives if there are any - especially customer ratings. My perception of dial refinishers in general is that they are all a little flakey.
    Thanks, Craig at Chronodeco.com

Re: Dial refinishing - take 2....

Quote Originally Posted by chronodeco View Post
    I posted this under watchmaking the other day but did not get a good answer yet so I thought I would post it here:
    One of my main sources of GRIEF regarding watch restorations is having the dial refinished. I don't like any refinished dials but sometimes there is no other option. I have used International Dial (US) and Dialcraft (Canada) many times in the past but they are slow and the results seem to be potluck - ranging from very good to unusable. They have both done jobs that I had to send back. I have used Kirk a few times and the work was good but at 3 to 4 times the cost, its not someone many of my customers want to pay for. So, I would like to hear about some alternatives if there are any - especially customer ratings. My perception of dial refinishers in general is that they are all a little flakey.
    Thanks, Craig at Chronodeco.com
    Over the years I have seen a lot of posts on dial refinishing. They pretty much echo yours. The age old adage of 'you get what you pay for' appears true here. Dial refinishing is an artform done by craftsfolk. For low price you get folks who will try and often succeed with varying degrees of satisfaction. For high price you get the perfectionist.

I used to bookmark dial refinishers like I book mark repair shops. I never collected many. Most appeared to be "sure, I'll try that" type vendors... but others may know more!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Re: Dial refinishing - take 2....

I've also given up, and now would rather wait for a perfect dial on a vintage piece than live with the frustration and poor results of dial restoration.
    Tick Talk says, "A watch in the hand is worth two on the wrist"

Thread Information