dial spots

Thread: dial spots

dial spots

so I just purchased my first vintage, a 70's era Tissot. Just fell in love with it Needs a service and that's it. The dial has spotted (patina?). What causes this and will it continue to worsen to a point the dial will basically be a big spot? The hands have had the lume go bye bye, so that should be that for them
    Thanks from a newbie

Re: dial spots

Do you care to share some pictures :) ?

Good question. I suspect there are several reasons for the spots. Generally I have noticed them on cases which, at some point of their life, were not well sealed (judging from the movements - I rarely see deteriorated dials in watches with pristine movements).

Some sort of chemical deterioration of one of the levels base/paint/lacquer due to oxidation I suppose. I bet others will know more!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Just like a painting
    Humidity effects the lacquers causing them to deteriorate or grow spores. Modern dials now go through some 15+ processes to try to make them more lasting - time will tell.
    That is why an enamel dial has the edge for age versus deterioration
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Watch dials have been made from many different materials over the ages, but by the 70's they had a pretty good idea of what would last and what wouldn't. Still, the quality of dial will reflect the quality of the watch when it was new. Tissot is a good name with good products, so I'd have to imagine the dial, while not "top of the line", would have have been constructed with an eye towards longevity. So if it has spots, that suggests that it was subjected to a harsher environment that it was able to handle. Will it get worse? Depends on what's causing the spots. If the spots were caused by moisture on the surface of the dial, then probably not. But if the spots are caused by oxidation of the underlying metal base, then it may. And if the watch continues to be exposed (due to faulty case design, bad seals or just being a dress watch lacking much environmental protection in the first place), then yes it'll likely continue to get worse.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thread Information