Did Assmann make small 17L watches beforw 1900?

Thread: Did Assmann make small 17L watches beforw 1900?

Did Assmann make small 17L watches beforw 1900?

Simple question repeated because I get no answer in 2 best forums and my own research. Prompted by discovery of fine 21j Assmann made for Gruen before 1900 that is roughly 10 size. Marked Gruen & Son which was done before 1900. Not recorded anywhere as a Gruen watch as was thoroughly done for the 1895-1904 18s and 16s fine Assmann made Gruens. I cannot find a 16s Assmann marked also from before 1900.

Name:  IMG_0054acopy.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  86.5 KBName:  IMG_0048aacopy.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  242.2 KB
    Last edited by artb; May 22nd, 2012 at 14:58.

Re: Did Assmann make small 17L watches beforw 1900?

5/24/12 Found two 19 ligne size (~16s) Assmann hunter case movements in w.w. cases that were for sale. 7k serial marked Dresden much nicer quality than 14k serial marked Glasshutte. Expensive and stupid in huge w.w. cases. Definitely not 10s.Name:  ass gruen 16 1902a.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  304.7 KB 16s Gruen shown is 1902 latest model.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; May 24th, 2012 at 15:25.

Art, are you one of the Gruen family??
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

EEB: Your question maybe indicates you are aware of the Gruen collection by a Gruen family member that is at NAWCC Museum. They did not save or acquire many of their interesting specials and even uncommon production pieces. So being a family member would not help having a few I have that were from ebay, and not in the Gruen collection. So I guess I am an ebay family member. I have 100% good experience with ebay in last couple years buying only, but selectively. Most recent Assmann Gruen for sale had a bad dent in case edge. Question to seller was not answered so not even scrap value bid by me.
    It being a not very good condition relatively common o.f. 16s that had 51 bidders to twice scrap value. It had previously been listed and removed. Interesting to me is old Gruen p.w. ebay bidding activity greatly improved this year.

Name:  ass16pallet.JPG
Views: 224
Size:  154.8 KBName:  P1000301a.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  329.2 KBProbably a stupid question here. Several sources not divulged any Assman marked 12 size movements. The Gruen Assmanns are after all Assmann movements, designed, made and finshed by Assmann with Gruen doing only cosmetic and some adjustment work. He did specify the poised pallet that is not in most Assmann watches. Both used the bronze and aluminum alloy, that looks like gold, which is hard, light weight and durable not in the later poised pallet Aeby made Gruens. Initialy for his watch Gruen wanted to sell the best quality watch in the U.S. He certainly got close to that ambition with Assmanns.
    Last edited by artb; May 27th, 2012 at 21:01.

Thread Information