Discovery: Vintage Gallet
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Discovery: Vintage Gallet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Discovery: Vintage Gallet

Hello all,

As a newbie, I'd originally joined this forum to ask typical novice questions about entry-level/affordable watches and whatnot -- but I just found this yesterday in an old box of dad's things:

Based on the information from another thread, I'm guessing this is a MultiChron 12, presently on a Kreisler stainless mesh band (presumably of the same vintage). He's been gone for some time now, but I remember dad occasionally wore this watch when I was a little kid. I hadn't seen it in many years. Unfortunately, I don't have any accompanying documentation, box, etc.

The crystal has obviously seen better days, but the dial appears to be in decent condition. The "reset" plunger functions but feels quite stiff. The elapsed hours indicator works, but counts forward from and returns to the pictured position instead of 12:00. Everything else seems okay as far as I can tell. I have no idea if the watch had ever been serviced. There are no markings on the case.

At some point I would like to invest in restoration/repair, however a $750 expenditure isn't possible for me at the moment.

(Apologies if I've botched any terminology in the above description.)

With all that out of the way, I'd like to ask:

1) Are there enough identifying features to pin down a specific year (or range) of origin?
    2) When I'm able to get the watch serviced, should I assume it's best to let Gallet perform the work, or are there other options I should know about?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    huntershooter likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Discovery: Vintage Gallet

Congratulations on a fine watch. I am not an expert in Gallet but would tentatively put it in the fifties, judging by the overall style. As for servicing, I am sure any good watchmaker experienced with chronographs could do just as well.

Hartmut Richter
    Ed Barclay likes this.

You can probably find a regular watchmaker who will do a simple service for well below what Gallet is asking. Remember that Gallet, as a current maker of expensive watches, is more interested in maintaining and promoting their brand. If you give it to them, they will return it looking and running as close as possible to a new watch, because they want people to look at your sixty year old watch with amazement and wonder, and then go out to buy their own Gallet.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

a valjoux 72 isn't a that simple calibre to repair. however may I advise you to send a pm to al archer, he is a member of the forum and a trusted watchmaker
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Beautiful watch, a great find. It is indeed a "Multichron 12 waterproof", most probably mid 1950s.
    definitely should be serviced before you start using it.
    Movement will either be an Excelsior Park 40 or a Valjoux 72, both highly desirable calibers.

writing this with a sibling on my wrist, an EP40 Multichron:

Quote Originally Posted by WatchFred View Post
    Beautiful watch, a great find. It is indeed a "Multichron 12 waterproof", most probably mid 1950s.
    Movement will either be an Excelsior Park 40 or a Valjoux 72, both highly desirable calibers.

very nice condtion watch, watchfred
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Hi AstroNerd (I'm totally with ya on that!), welcome to the forum. You do have a MultiChron 12, and I'd bet it has the Valjoux 72 as opposed to the Excelsior Park EP40 movement. From the style of the logo and the shape of the 4, I'd say your watch was either very late 1950's or early 1960's. Gallet used rounded 4's prior to this model, and more angular 4's later on. Here's my M12, from 1953, with the EP40 movement.

Your crystal could do with a replacement (about $15), and there are watchmakers who can work on your V72 (PM me for details). The case and dial look to be in great condition, which is the important thing. The V72's are pretty tough movements, and when properly serviced will certainly outlive you. I'm wearing my V72 Gallet pilot watch today, in fact.

In case you don't know, the subdial at 9 o'clock is the continuous seconds, and always runs. the seconds hand at the center only runs when the chrono runs (top button starts/ stops and bottom button resets), when that happens, the subdial at 3 o'clock records minutes up to 30, and finally the subdial at 6 o'clock records the hours up to 12 - hence the "12" designation in the MultiChron name.

If you're interested, Gallet & Co. has a good page on Facebook, and I admin the Museum Edition Flight Officer group page on there as well. Stop by and say hi!
    ~Daniel
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Thanks for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    You can probably find a regular watchmaker who will do a simple service for well below what Gallet is asking.
    I figured. My only concern is finding qualified service in my area (central Texas). If anyone reading just happens to know of someone I can seek out locally, that would be preferable. Feel free to respond here or fire me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Remember that Gallet, as a current maker of expensive watches, is more interested in maintaining and promoting their brand. If you give it to them, they will return it looking and running as close as possible to a new watch, because they want people to look at your sixty year old watch with amazement and wonder, and then go out to buy their own Gallet.
    Ah, gotcha. That makes sense and it's something I hadn't considered.
    Last edited by astronerd; September 5th, 2012 at 03:09.

Quote Originally Posted by georges zaslavsky View Post
    a valjoux 72 isn't a that simple calibre to repair. however may I advise you to send a pm to al archer, he is a member of the forum and a trusted watchmaker
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'll keep that in mind.

Yes, that was one of my concerns, and I'd done only the bare minimum to assess its condition.

Beautiful! I look forward to the day when mine can be in similar condition. Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information