DIY pocket watch repair help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Roland Ranfft

Thread: DIY pocket watch repair help

DIY pocket watch repair help

hello everyone i was sitting at home with nothing to do so i decided to screw apart an old wind up pocket watch which does not work i got on ebay for £5 or £10 to see if there was any obvious problems to the untrained eye there was nothing obvious to me i have never screwed a watch of any kind apart before and i do not know how they work anyway it's not to bad to rip apart bit of a different story to build it lol i manged to do it but now when i wind it one full turn the watch turns almost two full cycles all advice will be appreciated o and the seconds hand missing i will just again point out i have no experience with watches thanks

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Re: DIY pocket watch repair help

Hello and welcome!

That is a very, very vague explanation of the problem and one no one will be able to answer. If this is something that you are interested in then I suggest that you start to read some of the online resources about how a watch works. Believe me that this is no easy thing that you have embarked on and unless you are willing to invest hundreds of hours and pounds in learning do not even think that this is a viable thing to spend your idle time on.

Regardless of whatever was wrong before you ripped into it, experience says that it's very likely that you have created new issues.

I would hazard a very general guess from your description that there is a problem in the escapement as it is clearly not locking allowing power directly through to drive the hands. If it's a lever escapement I would suggest that a pallet stone is missing or misplaced.

Hi there,

sorry, can't contribute nothing substantial. But I'll follow this thread with interest because I have a similar problem with a not flying space shuttle.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Ben_hutcherson likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi jdmonly, welcome to the forum.
    While your average pocket watch is a fine thing to start learning the watchmaking trade with, they are far mor complicated than would first appear. The tolerances are measured in small fractions of a MM, and big damage is easily done with small mistakes.
    There are online watchmaking courses available, as well as tons of videos of people (some skilled, some not) on youtube. Most courses start with teaching you the nuts-n-bolts of how a watch works well before they even start getting into diagnosing and fixing of problems.

Still, I am planning on delving into this myself, and have been acquiring the basic tools required prior to signing up for the TZ online school.

**edit. somehow managed to make everything bold...***
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

hello thanks DragonDan for telling me about TZ online school i didn't know that anything like that existed anyway i watched some videos on how pocket watches work according to this video in this link in my watch the controller is fitted wrong by me i have just watched a video on youtube how to fit it correctly looks hard but i don't have the right tools so i am going now to search the web for tools does anybody know any uk based sites that sells tool kits thanks

I don't think there's anything comparable in the UK, but this HOW TO CLEAN AND OIL A VINTAGE MECHANICAL WRIST WATCH OR POCKET WATCH REPAIR is a good basic guide as to what you need. Most tools can be found on ebay or from online shops such as Cousins UK - Clock Watch parts batteries jewellery findings Tools Equipment or Jewellers Tools : Jewellery Tools : Jewellery Equipment : HSWalsh. Suppliers for jewellers, silversmiths, goldsmiths, watchmakers, clockmakers, & horologists. Jewellery Findings: Clock Material: Watch Material. The BHI has a correspondence course About the BHI | British Horological Institute.

Some cheap tools are perfectly good for occasional use but its worth paying a bit more for key items such as screwdrivers and tweezers.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

thanks for the info i will give it a good reading

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

I suggest that perhaps the first thing that you need to do is to learn the correct names for the parts. If you don't do this, everything else will be much harder than it needs to be. For example, I have no idea what a 'controller' is. You won't be able to order parts for it or ask people for help with it if they don't know what you are talking about, nor will you be able to search for more detailed training on it.

Thread Information