Do you have your cheap vintage watches serviced? - Page 3
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Do you have your cheap vintage watches serviced?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Do you have your cheap vintage watches serviced?

Are there any European watch hobbyists here, who could recommend a good source for tools in EU?

By the way, I called two watchmakers today, randomly chosen quite near where I live, to get some idea about possible service costs. It was a very frustrating experience...

The first one didn't want to say anything about money. I tried to phrase my question in a general way, like "if we assume that my hand-wound (with only date complication) only needs basic cleaning and oiling, would the service price be tens or hundreds of euros?". He couldn't give me an answer, but insisted that I bring the watch to him.

The second one asked first which and how old watch do I have. I told it's a Roamer from the 70's. He said "uh-oh", and from that point on, although I tried to tell him that the watch is functioning and keeping excellent time at the moment, he somehow decided that it's a piece of garbage. Finally his verdict was that with 200-300 euros that junk could possibly be turned into a usable watch...

Oh well, on the positive side, such experiences further encourage me to start learning the basic skills myself!

Cousinsuk more or less have everything one would need.
    https://www.cousinsuk.com/

I also buy from Micro-tools as they have Pec-Pad's (they are fantastic). They also have some lower prices on some tools.
    Micro-Tools Europe Tools | Miniature Tools for Camera and Watch Repair
    jsavis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jsavis View Post
    Are there any European watch hobbyists here, who could recommend a good source for tools in EU?

By the way, I called two watchmakers today, randomly chosen quite near where I live, to get some idea about possible service costs. It was a very frustrating experience...

The first one didn't want to say anything about money. I tried to phrase my question in a general way, like "if we assume that my hand-wound (with only date complication) only needs basic cleaning and oiling, would the service price be tens or hundreds of euros?". He couldn't give me an answer, but insisted that I bring the watch to him.

The second one asked first which and how old watch do I have. I told it's a Roamer from the 70's. He said "uh-oh", and from that point on, although I tried to tell him that the watch is functioning and keeping excellent time at the moment, he somehow decided that it's a piece of garbage. Finally his verdict was that with 200-300 euros that junk could possibly be turned into a usable watch...

Oh well, on the positive side, such experiences further encourage me to start learning the basic skills myself!
    There are plenty decent repair people in Europe.
    Archers being one of the best.

I send mine to a master watchmaker in US, and he can surely repair yours.

Let me know
    adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There are plenty decent repair people in Europe.
    Archers being one of the best.
    I thought Archer was in Canada...or are there two?

Quote Originally Posted by Paleotime View Post
    I thought Archer was in Canada...or are there two?
    Sorry, I think you are correct - my bad
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Hi again jsavis,
    If you have a Roamer with an MST movement then most watchmakers will like working on them I think-it`s usually the later `70`s models (after the original company was sold) that there may be a problem with substituted movements.
    As previously mentioned by Shum many MST parts are readily available from the U.K company Cousins.
    I recently paid £60 for a full service on an MST522 which is the automatic version of the 521 (with date) ..if the movement on your watch looks clean and it sets and winds well then you can probably leave a service for a while-it seems to be keeping good time :0)
    HOROLOGIST007 and jsavis like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information