Do you still own your first watch?

Thread: Do you still own your first watch?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Do you still own your first watch?

Here's mine. It's my grandfather's retirement watch from 1949. He subsequently painted the hands white for my grandmother to wear, until her eyesight got too poor. It was given to me by my father for my 12th birthday:

... which probably wasn't such a smart idea :oops: After a year, it wasn't running. I took it to a cheap watch mechanic for a service a few years back. Unfortunately I neglected to tell him not to 'restore' the hands

For my 13th birthday, I got my first new watch, a Timex A much better choice for a kid that age. Here it is, modelled by my 8 year old son:

This is one of the last mechanical Timexes. The case was made in Scotland, but the rest of the parts and assembly was in Taiwan. The bracelet is a recent addition. It's a 1950s English sheet-metal 'homage' to the Oyster Stretch. Very easy to remove the links.

Does anybody else still own (and use) their first watch.

Re: Do you still own your first watch?

Looks like a very nice watch! I suppose you've taught your son the dos & don'ts of mechanical watch use, right? :D

I can't remember what my first watch was, I believe it was a glow-in-the-dark dome-crystal watch, some cheap piece of junk, can't remember what happened to it. My first steady watch which I wore with any regularity was a steel Swatch wristwatch which I bought at an airport on my way to holiday in New Zealand. Still have it, still running, and I still use it. Tough little thing it is. Been dropped three times, got the crystal cracked twice and it's gone through the washing-machine spin-cycle and come out ticking. The back of the case says "WATER RESISTENT", but I don't think the makers ever intended for it to go swimming in the laundry!
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

My first watch was a gold plated tank... probably a Hamilton. I wanted a round watch and hated it then -- would love to have it now!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My first watch - a Westclox Baby Ben - was dropped and broken by my Mother in 1953. Its replacement - a 1901 7 jewel Waltham - came from my grandfather. It's still running today.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

My first watch is a Bradley Space Explorer. I still have it and it is in need of restoration. The picture below is of a like watch but not mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baker324 View Post
    My first watch is a Bradley Space Explorer. I still have it and it is in need of restoration. The picture below is of a like watch but not mine.
    That definitely deserves a restoration!

Quote Originally Posted by Baker324 View Post
    ... and you got that when you were 32??
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    ... and you got that when you were 32??
    I've always looked young for my age, so I thought nobody would notice

My first watch was a swiss mecanical one from Ardath with date
    it was buyed at Gaza Palaistine
    it is still working fine -will try to post a photo soon

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I am not sure what my first watch was. The first watch I can distinctly remember wearing as a child was an Omega Seamaster! It was a ladies watch, a late sixties or early seventies automatic in a monocoque case with probably a Cal. 681 or something like that. It belonged to my mother and yet she let me wear it as a child!! I repaid her trust by taking good enough care of it and she still has it and wears it occasionally (although her everyday watch is a - different - Omega Seamaster quartz).

The second watch I can remember is a Junghans from the sixties with a Cal. 620.10 which I still own. I found it lying in a field in late 1974 as far as I can remember - I can still go to nearly the exact spot where I found it (in my home town, Neuss). I haven't worn it for a while but it still holds fond memories.

The third watch I had went bust. It was an automatic I had, also as a child, and I believe that water once got in and ruined the movement. I gave it to my mother to get her to have it looked at. When I inquired many years later, she told me that it was beyond repair. I wouldn't even rule out the possibility of it having been a cheap pin-pallet automatic.

My fourth watch was my great grandfather's pocket watch. He was a watchmaker and it is possible that he actually made this one. I got it for my confirmation. It has a cheap cylindre escapement FF (Favre Freres, Cormoret) movement - but it works and I still have it cleaned and wear it occasionally.

My fifth watch was a Casio digital LCD watch which was given to me and which I still own, although it needs a new battery (I last wore it in the Philippines to go diving with). In the Philippines, I got my sixth watch - and the only one I ever bought myself new. It is an Oris Radius form the mid-nineties (steel, gold bezel). I still have that one too and wear it - I had it serviced recently.

After that, I started to lose count......!!

Hartmut Richter

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information