Do you think this is authentic and is the price reasonable?
Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By Dan S
  • 2 Post By Border-Reiver
  • 1 Post By v8chrono
  • 2 Post By Border-Reiver
  • 2 Post By Hartmut Richter
  • 2 Post By laikrodukas

Thread: Do you think this is authentic and is the price reasonable?

Confused Do you think this is authentic and is the price reasonable?

AROUND $30.00
    Authentic? Reasonable price? Worth it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by kayeng; August 28th, 2017 at 14:09.

Re: Do you think this is authentic and is the price reasonable?

Seems like a pretty generic entry-level chrome-plated watch from the 1960s with a Japanese movement. There's nothing special about it, but at least the case looks like it's in decent shape. Keep in mind that the movement will probably need to be serviced (~$100), and I'm not sure that crystal can be salvaged, so you will end up investing a lot more than the purchase price.
    Border-Reiver and kayeng like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

thank you badbackdan

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Price ok, further investments absolutely not. If the crystal is acrylic, you can polish it yourself and get away also some not so deep scratches. It's actually not polishing, as this means removing things ON the surfaces, scratches go INTO it, so you have to sand down everything around to this level.

Start with very fine sandpaper grid 1500. At this stage you would get a heart attack if you would do this with a high value watch; the crystal will go totally blind. Then continue with finer paper, grid 2000. Wipe off the dust with a cloth to see if you have done enough. Often, it is sufficient to do this only very lightly and repeat the procedure if necessary.

If there should be single scratches not disappearing immediately, you can concentrate your work around them, but don't overdo it and leave it at a certain stage.

You should also get a small tube of Polywatch to finish the job. Use a cloth and rub firmly with the Polywatch and the crystal will get nice and clear.

I hope the watch is in running condition. You can regulate it a bit (shortening and lenghtening the active part of the hairspring) by moving the lever(that thing with the end around the shock protection). Of course, it should really get a service if you would like to wear it every day, but the cost is in no way justified, unless it's a family heirloom.

Make new images therafter and praise your friends in the forum.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 28th, 2017 at 15:27.
    badbackdan and kayeng like this.

If you are impatient like me then start with 800 grit Wet & Dry paper (use it wet), it gets rid of the deeper scratches quicker and still polishes up with T-cut, toothpaste or Cif! I would be more cautious with a more expensive watch but the one you have chosen will be good to practice on.
    Last edited by v8chrono; August 28th, 2017 at 18:33.
    kayeng likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by v8chrono View Post
    If you are impatient like me then start with 800 grit Wet & Dry paper (use it wet), it gets rid of the deeper scratches quicker and still polishes up with T-cut, toothpaste or Cif! I would be more cautious with a more expensive watch but the one you have chosen will be good to practice on.
    You are absolutely correct. After a while you know which grid to take (even lower sizes) and how long and intense you have to work to get the job done fast and without much of repeating; in other words, you get a feel for it. But I do not recommend that for 'beginners'. And yes, it really depends on the watch and if you have (like me) lots of replacement crystals in all shapes and sizes.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 28th, 2017 at 19:59.
    v8chrono and kayeng like this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The movement is a UTC (Universal Time Corp.) Cal. 29. UTC was a company owned by Seiko for the distribution of their movements as generic ebauches to other companies. As such, it is technically almost the same as a Seiko and prestige-wise probably a little lower still. So, have a look at what standard manual Seikos in similar condition of that era go for, take a little off that and you are there as far as the realistic value goes. My verdict would be: you're not being ripped off but you aren't getting a great bargain either.

Hartmut Richter
    bsshog40 and kayeng like this.

$10 would be more realistic :)
    kayeng and bloody watches like this.
    Chaos is my focus

Thread Information