Docker wrist watch, id and value?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AbslomRob

Thread: Docker wrist watch, id and value?

Docker wrist watch, id and value?

Not so long ago I got some watches from my dad.
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me something about this watch and what value it has?
    Its a Docker Conographe Suisse Ancre 17 rubis. Antimagnetic.
    It also says under the number 6, swiss made
    On the back lid it says:
    Fond Acier Inoxidable 326
    Its in 18 k gold
    I hope someone can help me
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Docker wrist watch, id and value?

Chronographe Suisse? There's probably a movement from the Landeron 48 family inside. As to its age- 1950s, by the looks of it. No valuations here, but it's relatively easy to find similar pieces on eBay- just search completed listings for gold-plated chronographs with Landeron movements, made by small watch companies and private label brands (which are usually recognized by two things- you've never heard of such a brand, and Google gives no results...), and you'll have an idea of how much such watches go for.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Hi,

Why do You think it's in 18 k gold?
    Chaos is my focus

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Chronograph Suisse was a fairly common style of chronograph sold in large quantities to many smaller retailers. While many of them had "solid gold" cases, such cases were "solid gold" only in the most technical sense; the "gold" case was usually very very thin (often with hollow lugs) that was kept from deforming by the insertion of a solid base-metal retaining ring (acting as a "movement holder". It can be hard to properly gauge the value of the gold, since the retaining ring comprises most of the weight, and can't be easily removed. IN most cases, the value of the watch as a working chronograph will exceed the value of the gold.
    mkws likes this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Well, AbslomRob said all that can be said of Chronographe Suisse, I think. This one isn't gold, so I guess that back then it was even more affordable than the average Chronographe Suisse. It's gold-plated brass, with a layer 20 microns thick probably.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by laikrodukas View Post
    Hi,

Why do You think it's in 18 k gold?
    Went to a jewler and got it tested.

Ehhhh... There is a layer of gold on it, as I've said, and that layer might be of 18K gold as well, but the case itself is- repeat- brass. With a steel caseback. "Fond acier inoxydable" means "stainless steel caseback". In full steel cases you get "acier inox(ydable)" , "acier staybrite", "acier inoxydable staybrite", and so on. The "fond" indicates that the caseback is the only steel part of the case. Solid gold main bloc + steel caseback combinations don't exist.
    It's not a solid gold watch- if the jeweller said it is, then I don't know what he's smoking, but I want some of that.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Thread Information