Does anybody else cringe...
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Does anybody else cringe...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does anybody else cringe...

...when they see "steampunk jewellery" on Etsy made out of watch movements? I mean, most of those parts aren't uncommon or very valuable, but *shudder*

Re: Does anybody else cringe...

This is what makes me cringe about Etsy:

Sad Etsy Boyfriends
    DC guy likes this.

Those poor souls!
    talljosh likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by entroki View Post
    ...when they see "steampunk jewellery" on Etsy made out of watch movements? I mean, most of those parts aren't uncommon or very valuable, but *shudder*
    It used to, but then I realized that watchmakers are getting more and more expensive every day. It doesn't pay to fix a lot of these older watches, particularly ladies watches. The cases are scrapped for whatever gold is there and the movements are discarded. The value in the marketplace just isn't there.

I just sent away my old television that was working well for 25 years a couple of weeks ago. Replaced with a 60" 4k UHD. Goodwill no longer accepts donations of old electronics since they are almost impossible to sell, even at giveaway prices. Best Buy will recycle what they can and destroy the rest in an environmentally acceptable manner.

Sad, but true.
    gatorcpa
    busmatt, HOROLOGIST007 and entroki like this.

No, As I would really like a pair off cufflinks made from a movement. I know I am a Blasphemer.
    busmatt and Quartersawn like this.
    Vintage Chronographs and Divers are my thing.

"Bad" Steampunk jewellery is like "bad" anything else. Good Steampunk people would rather have a working mechanical watch then a bunch of useless gears, but few have the time or desire to actually learn to do it. Hell, most watch collectors don't have the time or desire to learn it either, but man do they ever like to complain about Steampunk! :)
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

There are two reasons for which I wouldn't want to have cufflinks made of watch movements- first of all, I'd rather see these movements recased and outfitted with modern dials, so that someone can still enjoy them as watches. Ladies' watches aren't really collectible, and the original cases have been melted down anyway, so...
    The second reason is that I consider steampunk jewellery ostentatious, that including cufflinks, and I'm pretty conservative when it comes to cufflinks. I own two pairs- one of modern, simple rectangular silver cufflinks with contrast polishing, the other- an asymmetric pair that I have inherited from my grandfather. They are pretty much unique- bought from a small jewellery store in the 1950s. The family story has it, that they were custom-made, so... I believe that cufflinks should be simple and have some understated elegance to them. Watch movement cufflinks are pretty far from that. But that is a matter of individual preferences, and so I cannot really have anything against them except for the "movement butchering" thing.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by talljosh View Post
    This is what makes me cringe about Etsy:

Sad Etsy Boyfriends
    ROFL

There is no amount of money in the world that would compel me to do this:

Being a big snob I simply cringe at the pretentiousness of the name, or the movement, or aesthetic , or whatever it is that "steampunk"* represents. other then that-they aren't the first to cannibalize watches. and besides-somebody has to do something with the millions of womens cocktail watch movements that are sitting around all broken and pathetic.

*somebody tried to give me a 'serious' explanation of what SP meant-in 'historical' terms and i didn't but it for a second. maybe some folks like the style but I doubt its going down in history.
    Last edited by DaBaeker; August 5th, 2015 at 03:37.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Quote Originally Posted by DaBaeker View Post
    *somebody tried to give me a 'serious' explanation of what SP meant-in 'historical' terms and i didn't but it for a second. maybe some folks like the style but I doubt its going down in history.
    Here's a non-serious explanation...Have you ever seen the old TV show, "The Wild, Wild, West"? Not the 1990's Will Smith movie, but the original?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wild_Wild_West

Set in the 1870's, but attempted to adapt modern (well, 1960's) scientific concepts.

Something like, what would have happened if Czarist Russia had an atomic bomb in 1870?

As a fashion statement, it's kind of silly in my book. But it is creating an increase in denim vest and moustache wax sales!
    gatorcpa
    Last edited by gatorcpa; August 5th, 2015 at 16:37.
    busmatt likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information