Does anyone have any information on a pocketwatch by H James of Edinburgh

Thread: Does anyone have any information on a pocketwatch by H James of Edinburgh

Does anyone have any information on a pocketwatch by H James of Edinburgh

I have another watch made by what appears to be H James of Edinburgh, although im not sure about the first initial, it is numbered 282. Can anyone provide any information on this maker, and what sort of date this watch might be? any info would be much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Does anyone have any information on a pocketwatch by H James of Edinburgh

I checked my copy of Loomes and the only Edinburgh James listed is a P. James from 1806.

The best way to date a watch such as yours is by using the hallmarks on the case. If your watch has hallmarks please post sharp close-ups of them. Look under the watch paper. Also views of the mechanism between the plates as seen looking from the side of the watch would be nice.

Based on the pictures already shown, your watch looks like a verge fusee from approximately 1780-1800.

Hello, your watch will have been made C1790/1800.

It is a pair case watch with the uncommon (at this time) feature of a subsecs dial. Commonly
    referred to as a 'doctors watch' as it could be used for counting a pulse.

It will have either a verge or cylinder movement and has a fusee (chain drive).
    Baillies lists a P. James working in Edinburgh 1806 but no mention of an H. James, he might have been P. James's father.
    Information on many makers has been lost in the mists of time when talking watches of this antiquity and sometimes all
    that is known is when a watch such as yours pops up.

Edit
    Ron, I agree with your info and your dating is what I thought, (you posted whilst I was posting), unfortunateley the watch
    looks to be in a gilt brass case so will bear no hallmarks.
    Last edited by radger; January 2nd, 2012 at 10:29.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ah now thats interesting, I do have a couple of pics of the mechanism, I apologise for the quality,, they were taken with my phone as I seem to have lost the charger for my SLR. as you say the case is gilt brass.Name:  02012012503.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  421.8 KBName:  02012012511.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  412.6 KB

If I may ask, where did you get this watch?

I inherited it from my father, I believe it was passed down from my Great Grandfather

Your watch has a verge escapement which was the most common type of escapement when
    your watch was made.
    The movement would seem to be all present and correct and the chain is on and unbroken.

What a great heirloom watch dating back over two hundred years

Thread Information