Does anyone have an idea about the origin of this flat Zenith/HY Moser branded PW movement ?
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By SilkeN
  • 2 Post By Badener
  • 1 Post By SilkeN

Thread: Does anyone have an idea about the origin of this flat Zenith/HY Moser branded PW movement ?

Does anyone have an idea about the origin of this flat Zenith/HY Moser branded PW movement ?

Unfortunately without a case I found this high quality movement in the canadian bay:

Name:  SAM_1820.JPG
Views: 32
Size:  151.1 KB
    The size is 38,96 mm on the movement side and it is build flat with 3,28 mm. Here is another detail photo of balance and escapement showing the beautiful refinement:
    Name:  SAM_1821.JPG
Views: 34
Size:  143.1 KB

Except the missing of the cross geneve the dial side is a eye candy:

Name:  SAM_1823.JPG
Views: 33
Size:  173.4 KB
    Even the cover of the wheels has a light stripe finish.Especially nice the intervention for the fine adjustment of the two-piece lever:

Name:  SAM_1824.JPG
Views: 34
Size:  123.1 KB

THe only additional information I've is a presumable age 1925-1935 depending on the style of the dial :

Name:  SAM_1826.JPG
Views: 37
Size:  71.5 KB

Funny is Zenith produce those days a flat caliber, the E.P.V.S. , with in a simular flat size. I can only assume that in relation to the demand there was a production bottleneck or that these movements had been a bargain. I do not have the slightest idea who built this beautiful ovements. Any hints are welcome.

Regards Silke
    SunnyOrange, mkws and Badener like this.
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Re: Does anyone have an idea about the origin of this flat Zenith/HY Moser branded PW movement ?

Hi Silke,

the movement could be from Audemars Piguet. At least it looks pretty similar to the one shown here: https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/prof...ion/view/73672
    I have no idea what kind of cooperation Zenith and AP could have had...
    SilkeN and SunnyOrange like this.

Re: Does anyone have an idea about the origin of this flat Zenith/HY Moser branded PW movement ?

Hi Badener..great ...Yes !!! it looks pretty simular and not surprising that I found nothing matching within the finding books for watchmakers. Just within the Thome are one side with a few movements were you see that it could be an option but they are not really matching. Zenith bought as well the "Zenith 2020" 9''' and 1,7 mm flat movement about 40 years later in the early 1970 ties from Piguet. Close to the time of this movement just a few years later Rayville/Blancpain provided some wrist watch movements to Zenith (12-4 Serie) but the movements are very different. During their hisory they use a lot of different foreign movements as an addition to their movements. Even a Omega movement for a ladys watch . Unthinkable today independent from the big four owners. The Swiss compamies made a lot deals beyond each other and the term "manufactory" wasn't used/important. In 1900 Zenith advertised proud with wide chest: " Zenith watch factory"

Thank you a lot my friend this are good news

Silke
    Last edited by SilkeN; 1 Week Ago at 06:18.
    SunnyOrange likes this.
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Thread Information