Does Boluva have any high class high value watches?

Thread: Does Boluva have any high class high value watches?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Does Boluva have any high class high value watches?

It seems that among all the vintage ones I find that are high priced they fall at the top of the affordable range at best. Are they not desirable enough or are they too generic.

Re: Does Boluva have any high class high value watches?

Bulova was a "finisher"; they didn't make their own movements, they took ebauche's and finished them. Their quality was very good, but at the end of the day there were selling the same things as everyone else.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Bulova was a "finisher"; they didn't make their own movements, they took ebauche's and finished them. Their quality was very good, but at the end of the day there were selling the same things as everyone else.
    Well, I find that most of the differentiation in the watch market is not by movement but by dials, casing, and bracelets. Bulova went out and bought the best of what they could find from people who specialized in producing movements. Many companies are limited to using only what they can make. (HA, that's a different view of the in-house/out-house movement perspective! )
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by watch origins View Post
    It seems that among all the vintage ones I find that are high priced they fall at the top of the affordable range at best. Are they not desirable enough or are they too generic.
    I've still got a box of them. Look at them like values. They aren't bad watches at all.

I started my vintage collection with some Bulovas simply because you could get a well-built timepiece with distinctive styling for not a lot of money. It seems many Bulovas age better than many higher regarded brands. I think they are great values; I have a super nice perfectly running '68 Oceanographer and 2 mint Accutrons that together cost less than my one nice Omega Seamaster. And my wife wears her perfect and original '58 black sunburst selfwinder (30mm mens model) every day and it never completely unwinds. I'm a fan.

Hi AbslomRob,
    Not actually. Indeed many movements are modified or unmodified ebauches from other manufacturers. But the major fraction was made by Bulova - most in the Swiss factories, some in the U.S.A, especially the tuning fork movements.

Even one of the best automatic calibre of its time, the Bulova 10COAC, was made in the U.S.A.:
    bidfun-db Bulova_10COAC: Bulova 10COAC

A special case are the variants of the very popular Bulova 7A:
    bidfun-db Bulova_7AP: Bulova 7AP (ETA 735)
    Many registers list its parts as interchangeable with those of the ETA 735, but actuall only the wheels and pinions are identical. Some other parts are different but nevertheles interchangable. But plates and bridges were individually made for Bulova, and the complete escapement is from Bulova.

Now back to the main question: There were actually some top model lines which meanwhile draw the attention of collectors. An example are the Amassador models, for some time equipped with Buren micro-rotor calibres in top quality and finish. Models like the one below are meanwhile classics, and their prices nearly doubled within the last two years.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Do not know details about this early autowind but it was 100% American not Swiss made to be a top grade. waterproof, antimagnetic, thin self wind, various fine cases. This one gold fill. Not really valuable, but certainly one intended to compete with the best of its time. 1950? Expect Roland could precisely relate its collectible status and value if any.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; December 12th, 2010 at 05:07.

There are some very expensive Accutrons about if you want to get excited - but then 'affordable' is relative.

I knew Bulova had "factories", but I always assumed that since their models were simply variations of standard ebauches, that they were simply bringing in the raw bits (plates, balance, etc) from different suppliers and doing the final fit and finish on them in house. I had forgotten that they wholly manufactured movements for the military during WWII in American factories (evidence of their position as a manufacturer). My bad!
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Try getting the bulova two-crowned inner bzl diver for less than $1000. if you can even find one. I also owned (inherited)an 18k astronaut and sold it years ago (before I had any sense and taste in watches). Even a minty SS astroN goes for a lot now. And doesnt boluva own the patent on the hummers? I always assumed they made those movements. There are also the assrted bulova 'snorkle' watches-some of which go for a good price even if I wouldnt consider them 'high-end' they are still classic.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information