Does "memento dial" simply mean "oops, this used to work, but it doesn't now"?
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Does "memento dial" simply mean "oops, this used to work, but it doesn't now"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does "memento dial" simply mean "oops, this used to work, but it doesn't now"?

Hi all. I purchased a Universal Genève Aero-Compax, with original dial (doesn't have sword hands) for a pretty compelling price - movement looked clean, case good, dial was NOT repainted, and I discovered that the "dual time zone" dial doesn't move. I can adjust it with the 9-o'clock crown, but it remains static. When I adjust it (after a recent cleaning), I feel significant resistance, as if it should be connected to the main mechanism, rather than an easy turn, leading me to think that it should be a true dual-time zone. I've read several forums, and the word that keeps popping up is "memento" dial. Is this just a euphemism for an originally-designed function that no longer works? I find it difficult to believe that UG would have designed this watch for pilots, and it not have a working 2nd time zone. It's not a sophisticated feature. Just need a clutch on the 9-oclock crown that disconnects the regulator from the main mechanism for adjusting, and have a simple connecting gear from main mechanism to transfer force.

I'll include images of the movement in my next posting below.

Re: Does "memento dial" simply mean "oops, this used to work, but it doesn't now"?

Quote Originally Posted by sookoon View Post
    Hi all. I purchased a Universal Genève Aero-Compax, with original dial (doesn't have sword hands) for a pretty compelling price - movement looked clean, case good, dial was NOT repainted, and I discovered that the "dual time zone" dial doesn't move. I can adjust it with the 9-o'clock crown, but it remains static. When I adjust it (after a recent cleaning), I feel significant resistance, as if it should be connected to the main mechanism, rather than an easy turn, leading me to think that it should be a true dual-time zone. I've read several forums, and the word that keeps popping up is "memento" dial. Is this just a euphemism for an originally-designed function that no longer works? I find it difficult to believe that UG would have designed this watch for pilots, and it not have a working 2nd time zone. It's not a sophisticated feature. Just need a clutch on the 9-oclock crown that disconnects the regulator from the main mechanism for adjusting, and have a simple connecting gear from main mechanism to transfer force.

I'll include images of the movement in my next posting below.
    I never heard that terminology 'memento' dial in that context.
    Franken, Marriage, Homage? Yes, but never 'memento'
    Post pictures of dial and movement
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; February 2nd, 2015 at 23:19.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Re: Does "memento dial" simply mean "oops, this used to work, but it doesn't now"?

Reminds me this "MEMENTO WATCH" - ring around the dial can be used for writing memos with pencil =)

DragonDan likes this.
    Watchmaking underground
    German Polosin

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by german View Post
    Reminds me this "MEMENTO WATCH" - ring around the dial can be used for writing memos with pencil =)

how ow cool is that. Thanks for posting it
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

Inactive

The 'memento dial' is only to remind you of appointments and such.... it is NOT a second time zone!!

Last edited by oinkitt; February 3rd, 2015 at 00:53.

Nor had I heard of "memento dial", sounds like "genuine corinthian leather". If you google "Aero-Compax memento" you will find dozens of "examples" of non-working dual time-zone. My dial and movement images are below. Don't knock me on the watch band; it was temporary... Also, if anyone knows where I can find period sword hands (NOS??), let me know.
    Name:  _DSC0360-2400.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  612.4 KBName:  _DSC0362-2400.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  709.1 KB
    Last edited by sookoon; February 3rd, 2015 at 01:34.
    DragonDan likes this.

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

There is one here, the Business man's watch. The dial is set for your appointments, so as not to miss your important meeting!

Name:  universal-1946.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  183.3 KB
    marks55 and DragonDan like this.

Stick around this forum and you learn something new everyday.. I guess the business men only had to worry about one appointment a day back then..
    redcow likes this.

Tony Lewis
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by sookoon View Post
    Nor had I heard of "memento dial", sounds like "genuine corinthian leather". If you google "Aero-Compax memento" you will find dozens of "examples" of non-working dual time-zone. My dial and movement images are below. Don't knock me on the watch band; it was temporary... Also, if anyone knows where I can find period sword hands (NOS??), let me know.
    Name:  _DSC0360-2400.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  612.4 KBName:  _DSC0362-2400.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  709.1 KB
    so as explained not a "non working 2nd time zone" but just a non functional set of hands you can manually set to any time to remind you of 'something' to happen at that time.
    The watch is functioning 100% correctly.
    Hence the explanation of term 'memento' is incorrect
    a

and
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by anzac1957 View Post
    Stick around this forum and you learn something new everyday.. I guess the business men only had to worry about one appointment a day back then..
    Any business man worth his salt would use the appointment dial to remind him to check his diary for his upcoming appointments.
    dandylion likes this.
    "There are many paths leading up the mountain,but the view from the top is the same."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information