Does this Patek pocket watch look legit?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Does this Patek pocket watch look legit?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does this Patek pocket watch look legit?

I picked this up and there was not much info on the size (case is 35mm) but the seller claimed it was 1880's era. The entire pocket watch is in excellent condition and has never seen a polish nor will it and has been well cared for. My best guess is the script is LRC but I am not positive. The 5 digit number on the movement matches the number on the inside gold cover. There is a different 7 digit number on the front and back case that match.

Does this look authentic is my question and any other info is appreciated as my pocket watch knowledge is almost none. Also, I don't want to damage it and I'm not sure how to set the time so if someone could help with that.

Name:  IMG_1594.JPG
Views: 242
Size:  82.2 KBName:  IMG_1595.JPG
Views: 240
Size:  79.0 KBName:  IMG_1599.JPG
Views: 237
Size:  95.2 KBName:  IMG_1602.JPG
Views: 239
Size:  108.8 KBName:  IMG_1603.JPG
Views: 233
Size:  111.2 KBName:  IMG_1597.JPG
Views: 239
Size:  99.4 KBName:  IMG_1598.JPG
Views: 237
Size:  100.0 KBName:  IMG_1601.JPG
Views: 235
Size:  73.3 KBName:  IMG_1600.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  82.3 KBName:  IMG_1596.JPG
Views: 227
Size:  94.6 KB
    Last edited by mmarc77; February 19th, 2016 at 16:55.
    SilkeN, radger and sempervivens like this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Does this Patek pocket watch look legit?

It looks wonderful! I'm sorry but I can't give any definite assessment (too little knowledge). All I can give are a few hints and guesses. Nevertheless.....

1. The case looks silver but has "18K" and "0.750" on it so it ought to be white gold.

2. The movement looks a little more tarnished than the case.

3. The script on the case is not quite the same as the script on the movement.

4. The dial looks original to the movement.

If I would have any worries, it would be the possibility that the case is rather more modern and is a replacement for an original gold case that was melted down. Even then, someone obviously took careto produce a very high quality replacement. On the other hand, it is possible that the whole thing really is original and was just not used very much. In the end, only Patek will be able to tell you (but with the cash spent on getting that assessment, you could probably buy a new watch! Even though no new Patek.....)

Hartmut Richter

Thanks Hartmut.

The case is actually yellow gold it's just hard to photograph. I can't tell a difference between the script on the movement and the dial cover but i might be missing a subtle distinction.

EDIT: the script is different as Hartmut pointed out between the dial cover and the movement
    Last edited by mmarc77; February 19th, 2016 at 00:31.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I really don't know how about that movement- on one hand, that's Patek quality alright, on the other- it looks slightly LeCoultre-ish. Reminds me of the LeCoultre cal.5:
    Attachment 7118010
    Now, of course that's just theoretical talking, I'm simply noticing certain similarities. Like the regulator- reminds me of the "Jules Jurgensen" layout used by LeCoultre.
    But it's also- in a certain way -similar to Vacheron & Constantin movements...
    No Patek movement in the Ranfft archive looks like the one in this watch, but then again, there's not much of them in there either...
    Going by the serial number lists for Patek, this watch would date to circa 1885, if we're talking about the "76407" one. "201178" would be a serial for something like 1925...
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

If it were mine, I'd cough up 100 Swiss Francs for an extract.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_hutcherson View Post
    If it were mine, I'd cough up 100 Swiss Francs for an extract.

I will gladly pay that much but I thought it was a couple of thousand for an extract.

Thank you and I just ordered the extract. I will post the results in nine weeks.
    Last edited by mmarc77; February 19th, 2016 at 05:09.

Hi all.
    As the first, I should punish anybody spending money and asking later. ( I mean that one spending significant amount )
    As the numbers on the case and on the movement are the same, just confirmation that this numbers are showing in books should be enough for me. AP, VC, UN, JLC just control numbers and give short opinion if you send a pic and ask it. If you want it written, than it cost. Have to try. They confirmed to me that different numbers fit (what I had ask before buying).
    But nice watch!
    Take a look here, Patek Philippe Watch Company: History, Serial Numbers & Production Dates
    Last edited by Split sec; February 19th, 2016 at 11:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Split sec View Post
    Hi all.
    As the first, I should punish anybody spending money and asking later. ( I mean that one spending significant amount )
    As the numbers on the case and on the movement are the same, just confirmation that this numbers are showing in books should be enough for me. AP, VC, UN, JLC just control numbers and give short opinion if you send a pic and ask it. If you want it written, than it cost. Have to try. They confirmed to me that different numbers fit (what I had ask before buying).
    But nice watch!
    Take a look here, Patek Philippe Watch Company: History, Serial Numbers & Production Dates
    Thank you for the link and I had it bookmarked.

I work hard for my money and certainly don't throw it away on something without researching first. I do however, like to get the experts confirmation on authenticity after I have it in hand.

Here is what I knew prior to buying this watch site unseen.

1.this link from a most reputable seller Christie's shows a watch that is very similar with serial numbers and case numbers very close and case, dial and hands match:

Patek Philippe. An 18k Pink Gold Hunter Case Keyless Lever Pocket Watch | SIGNED PATEK PHILIPPE & CO, GENEVE, RETAILED BY C. FREDENHAGEN, BUENOS AIRES, MOVEMENT NO. 76'067, CASE NO. 200'644, MANUFACTURED IN 1887 | late 19th Century, mechanical | Chri

2. seven digit number on front case matched seven digit on back
    3. logo was correct and used on all three covers
    4. all markings matched many PP watches I found online
    5. six digit number on movement matched six digit on gold dial cover
    6. serial number was correct for approximate age of watch

I must say though that I enjoy picking up watches at a great discount due to other bidders reluctance to trust research. I may be proven wrong when I get the extract from Patek but the odds are greatly in my favor. In this case a Patek Philippe from the 1800's in excellent condition for $2254 shipped tax free pleases me greatly.
    Last edited by mmarc77; February 19th, 2016 at 16:42.

Why is the regulator arm over so far? It's supposed to register on the markings on the center wheel bridge?
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Why is the regulator arm over so far? It's supposed to register on the markings on the center wheel bridge?
    Good catch Rob. I must have accidentally moved it when I took photos. I don't intend to run the watch until I get it serviced as I don't want to damage it but I will move that back, thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information