Does someone recognize this brand?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Border-Reiver
  • 1 Post By simplymod

Thread: Does someone recognize this brand?

Hi all,

My grandmother died recently and she left me this watch. It actual has a manual wind movement (no idea from which manufacture) and is Swiss made. I cannot imagine that she has ever had this watch serviced, but nonetheless it keeps time very well. The movement thus should be a good workhorse.

I can hardly read the brand name and I have never heard of it. I would think it is one of the many brands that went bankrupt during the quartz revolution. I do not think the watch is worth anythink but it is still nice. Does anyone have more information on the watch and brand?

Thanking you all!

Stijn
    Attached Images Attached Images

Avia. Swiss brand. They had some nice watches in the 50s and the 60s, including some Landeron powered chronos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Does someone recognize this brand?

Your watch certainly looks like it was well-loved by someone during its life. We see Avia watches from time to time in this forum. In fact, I think somebody posted one in the WRUW thread a few days ago.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    Your watch certainly looks like it was well-loved by someone during its life. We see Avia watches from time to time in this forum. In fact, I think somebody posted one in the WRUW thread a few days ago.
    Yes, I did.

Avia was a long gone Swiss brand, located in the French part of Switzerland. They also submerged along with the quartz crisis. The brand had been re-activated for a few years until they were gone for good.

Be careful with that watch. Hands and numbers contain lots of radium. Although the watch is not glowing in the dark anymore, the stuff is still there (half-life of 1600 years). There is no imminent danger if you leave it as it is, but when you take it apart or remove the crystal (I hope it is still there, can't judge from the pictures) the substance can get onto your fingers and in your body). That's why I dont ask you for movement pictures to say more (screw on back, easy to open with the right tool).

As a family heirloom it's certainly worth your attention and perhaps a service (my watchmaker does not service these watches anymore, others don't care or have the right experience to handle such timepieces). The case is a difficult thing to fix. It is chromium coming off, so that would have to be removed and re-applied. This would be a very expensive restoration job, as the case itself must be made absolutely scratch-free before. The crown on the watch has been replaced at some stage.

I would leave it alone and put in on display in a nice acrylic or glas box (the kind they use for minerals). Being your grandmothers watch, its of course priceless for you, otherwise it is not one of the top brands, but top in another respect: It was a reliable and honest 'work horse' for daily use. I have one watch (other brand) from that time worn by my grandfather, repair (including new balance staff) and full service included, but it was in a better shape. The value of the watch is only in the higher double figures, but if someone would ask me to sell it, even adding a zero or two to the market value, I would scare him from the premises with the shotgun.

Speaking of chromium re-plating: I have a watch out in the making for such a job; they sell cars in India for that price (well, not quite). It is an Omega from 1935/1936 and has seen the Olympic Games in Berlin that year (not as an official timekeeper), perhaps a give-away to Jesse Owens...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Border-Reiver; February 26th, 2017 at 17:15.
    badbackdan, OPChagall and busmatt like this.

Thank you Border-Reiver for the great info!
    You are right, I will not sell it no matter the price. Thank you again

They made some very quite nice quality watches along with some average stuff. I have one of the nicer Chronos they made which used a Valjoux 7733. They do not seem to turn up as often as some of their more standard offerings. I love the cushion case

Name:  IMG_6616 (1).jpg
Views: 71
Size:  273.6 KB
    busmatt likes this.

Thread Information