Does this watch appear to be in good shape? I really want to buy it but I want an expert opinion 1st

Thread: Does this watch appear to be in good shape? I really want to buy it but I want an expert opinion 1st

Does this watch appear to be in good shape? I really want to buy it but I want an expert opinion 1st

According to the ebay seller (who specializes in antique watches and has good feedback) it's a 1901 10k gold plated waltham watch, on which he's replaced the band, mainspring, and glass. Price would be around 350 shipped. I'm really really interested, but could you guys confirm that this thing looks to be in good shape?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Does this watch appear to be in good shape? I really want to buy it but I want an expert opinion

What is the diameter of the watch, it might be a pocket watch conversion.
    --Charlie

-Citizen -Seiko -Heuer -Steinhart -Bulova -TagHeuer

Re: Does this watch appear to be in good shape? I really want to buy it but I want an expert opinion

I'm certain someone wii come along with specific Waltham expertise however in the meantime something looks odd to me. The watch seems to have spring type lugs, I didn't think anyone was doing that in 1901. Watches at that time were just starting to be converted from pocket to wrist with fixed lugs.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Another Waltham from their factory in the Ukraine! LOL
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Its definately a 1901 waltham movement (Model 1891). It definitely wasn't purchased looking like this. That style of case simply didn't exist when the movement was made. However, as wristwatches grew in popularity and old gold-filled cases started to show their age, it wasn't uncommon for people to put their watches in a conversion case. There are no other screw marks on the edges of the case, so probably this case was "original" to this movement, and there are enough small "dings" in the bezel for me to believe that the case wasn't made recently.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

I don't like the price, but I do like the looks of the watch.
    Need parts? Tech manuals? Serial Number lookup? www.watchrepairinfo.com

Thread Information