"Dogma" watch?

Thread: "Dogma" watch?

Mac

"Dogma" watch?

Hi ,

I have been offered a watch by a manufacturer I have never (until now!) heards of!

It is a manual chronograph by a maker called "Dogma".

Does any one know anything about them?

Are/where they any good?

What would you say it is worth (if anything)

Pics below, sorry but I'm crap with a camera!

Re: "Dogma" watch?

Hi -

We don't do valuations of any kind: there are two sticky posts at the top of this forum explaining why. Wouldn't be fair to either you or the seller to place any sort of value on the watch over the internet, which is why we don't do it. Please read the stickies!

Never heard of the brand, it is not in Shugart's Complete Price Guide to Watches, and it does not look to be in great shape: the crown is also not original. The four copper-colored points on the dial are odd as well.

These points argue against spending any significant amount of money on the watch...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

I've found some references to Dogma - it was a brand of FABR.D'HORL. ARTHUR DORSAZ & CO.(CLEMENCE FRERES) of La Chaux de Fonds. Er, that's pretty much it.

In 1956 the company won a trademark infringement case protecting the brand Dogma from a rival brand - Dog - being produced by the Redia watch company - mainly for export to Tangiers.

http://translate.google.com/translat...3Doff%26sa%3DG

It can also be found as a supplier of watches to the German army in WW2.
    Last edited by Marrick; January 29th, 2008 at 20:47. Reason: More info

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looks a lot like a private label branding of a "Chronographe Suisse" watch. Movement looks to be either a Landeron or Venus, which would be typical of these watches.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...58699#poststop

The four "posts" would be numeral markers for the numbers 1, 5, 7 & 11. Numbers 3 & 9 are covered by the subdials.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The movement is definitely a Landeron with lever system. A failry early one, judging by the lack of shock proofing on the balance.

Hartmut Richter

Dogmas and Dogma Primas are actually quite common here in England, obviously one of their markets.

I have owned a few chrono's and non chronos, they are decent quality watches with bought in movements and they made some nice very large time only watches also.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website
    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052/index.htm

Hi -

Well, you learn something every day.

Just googled on the name, apparently the company was established in 1897, but appears to be not much more than a name nowadays (found one Dogma on a spanish site with a Miyota Quartz inside, with the Dogma logo as shown here on a rather hideous Hublot clone), and not much beyond that...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

I also have a Dogma watch, been trying to find info on but its very illusive. Im not by any means educated on the topic of time keeping devices, but i was given this watch and my curiosity has been sparked about its origins and history. The detail is stunning though! the little hands are very intriguing, i wish i had a better camera to take more pics of it.

Name:  Upload 1.jpg
Views: 6323
Size:  351.4 KBName:  Upload2.jpg
Views: 6073
Size:  336.8 KBName:  Upload3.jpg
Views: 6058
Size:  260.0 KB

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Welcome to the Vintage forum. I think that the chances are high, in view of the small size and lack of seconds hand, that the contents are a small ladies' "form" (i.e.: non-round) movement from the sixties or seventies. Something like this:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: AS 1012

Hartmut Richter

I'm in Prague at the moment and today I was in a few antique shops holding beautiful 1950s Doxa, Dogma, Omega, Rolex and Longines wrist watches. All serviced and fully working with a 2 year guarantee. I have to say that while you pay real money for them, there is something nicer holding them and feeling them than just buying from picture on Ebay.......
    I was tempted by some of the Dogma and Doxa ones but didn't buy anything have enough watches for the moment. But beautiful..... so Dogma seem to have been popular over here at least during the 1950s.

Thread Information