Douglas World Time Help

Thread: Douglas World Time Help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Douglas World Time Help

Hello Everyone and Happy Holidays!
    Picked up this Douglas World Time off Ebay. I can't find out what movement it has, it apparently has 17 Jewels, but I can't take the back off...yet. Thought maybe some of you have come across this before?? You can see the word "France" at the 6 position, French made I take it? Perhaps our good Friend John In France could shed some light??? Thanks in advance for your help.
    The only tool I have to open watch backs is shown, what tool would you recommend for this type of back?
    Name:  DSCN2893.JPG
Views: 207
Size:  956.0 KBName:  DSCN2885.JPG
Views: 209
Size:  894.5 KBName:  20121201_195618_zps4889efbe.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  286.2 KB
    It's in great shape, other than some scuff marks on the crystal at about the 4 and 5 position that I'm sure can be buff out.

Re: Douglas World Time Help

Use a real wrench to open the case... unless you don't mind caseback scratches.

Nice lume. It will look good with a new crystal!!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Originally, there would have been a specially made spanner (wrench) to fit. But as these are hard to find in the right size I'd agree with Eeeb and use an adjustable wrench to get it started. Then a squidgy ball-type tool such as this: Watch Back Case Opener Screw Type Cover Remover Opening Tool Mini Play Ball Kit | eBay In fact, these can work on their own but not if the back's on really tight.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys! After posting last night I did try a real wrench, still can't get it off... it's on there TIGHT! I'll keep trying. Thanks again.

Hi Chris

It looks a lot better than I thought it would from the seller's photo

A French Douglas, that's a new one on me , so give me a little time to search in various archives and I'll ge back to you
    Last edited by john87300; December 17th, 2012 at 20:32.
    John
    Watch Website: www.chambresdebelair.com/watches.html last update 07/11/2012

I have some vague recollection of an unnamed forum participant relating the story (in another venue) about the torture of an uncooperative caseback. The watch in question was transported to a secure laboratory facility in northern Europe where the case was then mounted in the four jaw chuck of a bench top lathe. Heat (and possibly electrical current) was applied to the caseback after it had previously been wrapped in coarse burlap and doused in a persistent stream petroleum distillate (while being inverted). The case and caseback was then struck repeatedly with a hammer faced with a soft malleable material so as to minimize permanent scarring (while maximizing shock). A large adjustable wrench was then applied to the lugs of the caseback to exerted pressure on it as the chuck was turned in the opposite direction. A piece of dimensioned lumber was also employed in some fashion.

The results have been redacted from the official record.

p
    Courtesy of ULF.

In a similar vein, someone who shall remain nameless, once posted a 'joke' response to a similar situation - encouraging the questioner to superglue a lever/spanner to the caseback. Once removed, soak in acetone to remove.

The problem with the joke, is, that it actually works. And is very similar to the method published in (IIRC) the TM9-1575 US military watch servicing guide, which involved a broomstick and adhesive.
    Last edited by trim; December 17th, 2012 at 22:25.

I believe eeeb was speaking of a 3-pronged caseback wrench, not an adjustable wrench from your local hardware store. The caseback has those series of scallops, whereas the OP's wrench only has the square-faced pegs. I have a simple caseback wrench that came from the online garage sale, but it has several different types of pegs, including round ones. I think those would have the best chance of imparting force to those scallops without damage.
    In other words, put down the wrench and step away! It's such an easy thing to permanently damage a caseback, I know from experience.

I remember seeing that one on the bay, it looked interesting. Didn't the original listing say that it needed work? An extra bonus if it arrived working.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Chris

I've come across this style back which is actually a clip on masquarading as a screw on.

I've found no trace of a Douglas French brand as yet, so I'm looking into the idea that it may be a French produced import
    John
    Watch Website: www.chambresdebelair.com/watches.html last update 07/11/2012

That's what I meant!

One other factor is to use dry ice on the caseback to get it to shrink... if you can get the dry ice.

My watchmaker has a bench mounted caseback vice. It opens things I have never been able to budge.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information